Where Are the Other Detectors for F5 Tally in MCNP?

In summary, the code allows for multiple detectors to be assigned to a single F5 tally, but the output file only lists the tally result for the first detector.
Will_007
TL;DR Summary
where is the output for multiple F5 tally detectors
The MCNP manual states that you can have multiple detectors for a single F5 tally. Say you have f15:n x1 y1 z1 r x2 y2 z2 r.....Thing is, my output file only lists the tally result for the first f5 detector (x1,y1,z1). Where are other detectors for this tally? Is there a reason code developers enabled this method of defining multiple detectors vs just using f15, f25, f35....for each one?

Thanks,
Will

Engineering news on Phys.org
f15, f25, f35 should all work and give separate answers, I wonder if you specify multiple rings or points on the same tally if it sums all the calculations to a single answer. I might do a test. I'd say the code is not 'clever' but internally it's extremely clever. What it's not is user friendly. It's derived from an old code and it's still in FORTRAN, which has limited string handling capabilities, everything has to be quite explicit; syntax is fairly brittle and error checking is woefully lacking.

Hey Alex - so yes, F15, F25....can be used separately but this option allows you to use F15 and then list multiple detector locations (not ring or a sum...the results appear to be as if you separately assigned a tally number to each). Discussion in the manual is limited, but in latest manual online (MCNP 6.3), this is the statement below. It looks like only the first detector belonging to the tally is in the output file, the rest are in the .m file but minimal labels (not user friendly at all)
1675206546484.png

I have almost no experience with MCNP6, so I've done some reading. There also isn't much in the way of a glossary. I understand a tally is an F card, a bin is when it's split into multiple results by energy, position or time and a detector is an object that has to be inserted in addition to the existing geometry and cell cards.

F1,2,3,4,6 and 7 don't involve detectors, they use an existing object. MCNP5 and later allows many objects on the same tally and how the results are shown depends upon parentheses.

MCNP5 only allows one ring or point per tally but the same note is in the MCNP5 manual, just meaning F5 can do point arrays (and maybe other reasons) so don't expect to do 20 (the detector limit for that version) F5 tallies under all circumstances.

X 2.6.0, 6.2 and 6.3 manuals allow multiple ring and point detectors per tally and the expected behavior is that is write a tally total as well as individual results for each detector unless this is suppressed with the 'ND' keyword.

The 6.1 and 6.1.1 manuals are maybe unhelpful, and they appear to be derived from the MCNP5 manual, so the behavior might not match the code.

So yeah, unless you are using the 'ND' keyword you should see a result for every detector on the line according to the manual. I also have no idea what the .m file is. :)

Likes Will_007
thanks - .m file is the MCTAL file (obviously! :) )...one day when LANL makes this a user-friendly code it will transform it from formula one to bentley

Likes Alex A

1. What is F5 Tally in MCNP?

F5 Tally is a type of detector used in MCNP (Monte Carlo N-Particle) simulations to measure the energy deposited in a specific region of a system.

2. Why are other detectors needed for F5 Tally in MCNP?

Other detectors may be needed to provide more detailed information about the energy deposition in a system, such as the type of particles involved or the direction of their movement.

3. How many other detectors are available for F5 Tally in MCNP?

There are several other detectors available for F5 Tally in MCNP, including F1, F2, F3, and F4, which measure different quantities such as fluence, flux, and reaction rates.

4. How do I choose the appropriate detector for F5 Tally in MCNP?

The choice of detector depends on the specific information you want to obtain from your simulation. You should consider factors such as the type of particles involved, the energy range of interest, and the spatial resolution required.

5. Can I use multiple detectors for F5 Tally in MCNP?

Yes, you can use multiple detectors for F5 Tally in MCNP to obtain a more comprehensive understanding of the energy deposition in your system. However, it is important to ensure that the detectors do not overlap and that the combined results do not exceed the overall energy deposition in the system.