Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F95 Compiler Question

1. Aug 15, 2011 #1
    Hi guys,

I am thoroughly unfamiliar with the fortran, but I have to use a software that based on f95 codes.

In the user manual of the software it says that, this software involves compilation and linking of the following code segments and in the following order:

a.f95
    b.f95
    c.f95
    d.f95
    main.f95

... etc.

So, i am using win7 and plato software for the compilation process but i could not figure out the linking and the compilation process.

Can anyone tell me how to link these codes and execute the program?
    Or can anyone suggest me another compilation program for f95?

Any help will be appreciated.

Looking forward to hear from you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #2
    Does the software not come with a makefile (or whatever the Windows equivalent is)? If not, you'd probably be better off asking Silverfrost, if you can't find an answer in the documentation. Of course, you might want to contact the author of the software, too.

4. Aug 17, 2011 #3
    Yeap the software does not have makefile and as the software is a freeware i do not think that the supplier of the software will help for the execution of the program.

I will check documentation right now, but most probably i will not be able to solve the problem :(

Anyway, thank you

5. Aug 18, 2011 #4

uart

Science Advisor

With the freeware (gnu) g95 Fortran compiler I think you can just give it all the files you want to link on the command line. As in,

g95 a.f95 b.f95 c.f95 d.f95 main.f95 -o whatever.exe

Or you can compile the modules a,b,c and d to object files first. As in,
    g95 -c a.f95 -o a.obj
    and similarly for b,c and d

Then use
    f95 a.obj b.obj c.obj d.obj main.f95 -o whatever.exe

6. Aug 19, 2011 #5
    ok, another question:

In compiling the codes the following options must be specified:
    (1) Fixed format source code (72 columns)
    (2) Automatically promote REAL type variables to REAL (KIND = 8)
    (double precision)

which fortran software enables specifying the conditions abobe and how?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook