What is FAA Aerodynamics Video(s) about?

In summary, the conversation discusses a video about aerodynamics and the visibility of downwash in smoke streams. The topic of a glider in a picture and a video about Eastern Airlines is also mentioned. One person expresses interest in finding the Eastern Airlines video again, but is unable to watch it due to technical difficulties. The conversation ends with a joke about preferring traditional methods of presenting information.
Cyrus
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8053355611781104323

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Downwash of air isn't even mentioned until near the end of the film where they show vortices. It's also the first time the downwash is clearly visible in the smoke streams.

Wonder how they would have explained the aerodynamics of the glider in this picture (not the jet beside it)?

m2f2.jpg

There's another old video that Author Godfrey made for Eastern Airlines in a Constellation. Last time I found it, it was the entire video, in two parts. I'm trying to find it again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, Cyrus. Unfortunately, my computer isn't co-operating right now, so the video is very staccato. I'll wait until I can fire up a different one tomorrow.

I fell asleep, how did it end?

Just kidding, I do like the old school method of presenting information sometimes.:smile:

1. What is the purpose of the FAA Aerodynamics Video(s)?

The purpose of the FAA Aerodynamics Video(s) is to educate pilots and aviation professionals on the fundamental principles of aerodynamics and how they apply to aircraft flight. This includes topics such as lift, drag, thrust, and weight, as well as the effects of airfoils, angle of attack, and other factors on an aircraft's performance.

2. Who should watch the FAA Aerodynamics Video(s)?

The FAA Aerodynamics Video(s) are intended for anyone interested in aviation, including pilots, flight instructors, aircraft mechanics, and aviation enthusiasts. They can also be a valuable resource for students studying aeronautical engineering or other related fields.

3. Are the FAA Aerodynamics Video(s) applicable to all types of aircraft?

Yes, the principles of aerodynamics covered in the FAA Aerodynamics Video(s) apply to all types of aircraft, from small single-engine planes to large commercial airliners. However, the specific design and performance characteristics may vary for different types of aircraft.

4. How can the information from the FAA Aerodynamics Video(s) be applied in real-world situations?

The information from the FAA Aerodynamics Video(s) can be applied in real-world situations to improve flight performance, safety, and efficiency. Pilots can use this knowledge to make better decisions during flight, and aircraft designers can use it to improve the design and performance of their aircraft.

5. Are there any prerequisites or recommended knowledge for watching the FAA Aerodynamics Video(s)?

While there are no formal prerequisites for watching the FAA Aerodynamics Video(s), a basic understanding of physics and mathematics can be helpful in understanding the concepts presented. It is also recommended to have a basic knowledge of aircraft and flight mechanics.