Exploring the Fabric of Space: Theories and Possibilities

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of "poking" a hole through the fabric of space and what the fabric of space is made of. The participants also question what a shadow and time are made of, and the limitations of human perception in understanding these concepts. The conversation is deemed over-speculative and is closed.
Axefly
I know currently there is no answer but please be open to theories or possibilities for this intrigues me endlessly:

Everything is made up of something, so the fabric of space must also be made up of something.

i'd like to know if it would be possible to "poke" a hole through the fabric of space or what are your opinions ?

Furthermore how is the vast vacuum of the universe created, surely there must be a huge power source... perhaps black holes are part of the answer ?

Personally i think if it is possible to tear a hole through space fabric, it would possibly be a void for our physical state ?

If i have to compare it, it would be like trying to take the words i have just typed out of my pc screen and put them on the table next to me. (the words i type can only exist inside the conditions that make it possible inside the pc screen)

Space news on Phys.org
Why does everything have to be made of something?

What is a shadow made of? What is time made of?

UltrafastPED said:
What is a shadow made of?

a shadow is made of dark, and can move faster than light o:)

Ah, so the fabric of space is super-relativistic, and consists of dark stuff! Perhaps dark chocolate?

Axefly said:
Personally i think if it is possible to tear a hole through space fabric, it would possibly be a void for our physical state ?

The term "fabric" when used regarding space has turned out to be a TERRIBLE term to use because it leads to ridiculous statements such as the one above.

tiny-tim said:
a shadow is made of dark, and can move faster than light o:)

Now that is an interesting reply.

phinds said:
The term "fabric" when used regarding space has turned out to be a TERRIBLE term to use because it leads to ridiculous statements such as the one above.

And you have the definite proof that qualifies you in making this statement ?

Please refrain from posting ridiculous replies if you have nothing to put on the table.

Last edited:
tiny-tim... you got me thinking in quite a few ways now... mmm...

UltrafastPED said:
Why does everything have to be made of something?

What is a shadow made of? What is time made of?

Good questions, and i don't have the answer.

A shadow is caused by something obstructing light, without light we have blackness,
so I'm thinking if the sun creates light, what creates the blackness.

What it is made of is a good question, perhaps we are limited by our very nature,
ie (we only see and understand what reflects off our eyes, and our perception of non-visible effects in our understanding of reality.)

We can see the sun, however perhaps what is creating space or the darkness of space is not observable to us.

Time has an effect on our realm but is not physically observable compared to the blackness of space that is observable.

Last edited:
Darkness is the absence of light, just like a vacuum is the absence of matter. A vacuum isn't created in the sense that light is created, it is merely the result of removing the objects that used to occupy that volume of space. So if you associate "move out of the way" with "create", then I guess you can say that a vacuum is "created".

This thread is already over-speculative. Further developments will lead to no good. Thread closed.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the origin of the fabric of space?

The fabric of space, also known as spacetime, is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the three dimensions of space and the one dimension of time as a unified entity. It is believed to have originated from the Big Bang, the event that marked the beginning of our universe.

2. How is the fabric of space related to gravity?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, the presence of mass and energy warps the fabric of space, causing objects to move along curved paths. This is what we perceive as gravity. The more massive an object is, the more it warps the fabric of space around it.

3. Does the fabric of space have a physical structure?

The fabric of space is not a physical material with a definite structure. Instead, it is a mathematical concept that describes the curvature of space and time. Think of it as a grid that can be bent and distorted by the presence of mass and energy.

4. Can the fabric of space be altered?

Yes, the fabric of space can be altered by the presence of massive objects or high amounts of energy. This can cause ripples in the fabric, known as gravitational waves, which were first detected in 2015. Additionally, some theories suggest that it is possible to manipulate the fabric of space through advanced technology or through the use of exotic matter.

5. Is the fabric of space infinite?

The fabric of space is believed to be infinite in size, but this is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories propose that it is finite and curved, while others suggest that it is infinite and flat. Current evidence points towards the latter, but further research and observations are needed to fully understand the size and shape of the fabric of space.