1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fabry-Perot interferometer

1. Jul 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Fabry-Perot interferometer has spacing d = 2 cm between the glass plates, causing the direct and doubly reflected beams to interfere. As air is pumped out of the gap between the plates, the beams go through 23 cycles of constructive-destructive-constructive interference. If the wavelength of the light in the interfering beams is 5 × 10^−7 m, determine the index of refraction of the air initially in the interferometer.

2. Relevant equations

(I think) If constructive interference is occurring, 2d = mλ/n, for wave length λ, refractive index n and some integer m.

3. The attempt at a solution

I cannot figure out how to incorporate the following part in the equation: "As air is pumped out of the gap between the plates, the beams go through 23 cycles of constructive-destructive-constructive interference."

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It means that m changes by 23.

Can you say which it did? Did m increase? or Did m decrease ??

Also, assuming that virtually all of the air was pumped out, what is the index of refraction for a vacuum ?

4. Jul 12, 2011 #3
    Since wavelength gets longer as the air gets thinner, I think the number of wavelengths in the distance 2d will decrease as the air gets pumped out.

The index of refraction in vacuum is defined to be 1.

I have: m λ/n = (m - 23) λ/1 = 2d. The left side says integer m times the contracted wavelength λ/n. The middle says (m - 23) times full length λ/1. The right side is twice the gap.

Solving the left and middle, I get m = (2d + 23λ)/λ. Substitute it for m in the left and solving the left and right, I get n = 1 + 23λ/2d.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  5. Jul 12, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you get for a numerical answer for n-1? (Just out of curiosity .)

6. Jul 13, 2011 #5
  7. Jul 13, 2011 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Excellent !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook