1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fabry perot Laser

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a Fabry-Perot laser, length 0.1m, with an unsaturated gain coefficient, [itex]\gammao[/itex]=1m-1

one of the mirrors of the Fabry-Perot cavity is perfectly reflecting, the other reflects 95% of the light and transmits 5%. wit the aid of a brief calculation explain why steady state laser oscillation is expected?

i had no idea on how to approach this question so i did some research and i found this book kind of helpful under this link:
    http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=...rip gain greater than round trip loss&f=false

2. Relevant equations

after reading a chapter in the book the steady state condition is R1R2exp(2aL-j2wL/c)=1

3. The attempt at a solution

since i am not given any frequency value i only solved the condition for the round trip amplitude coefficent and the way i calculated it was R1R2exp(2aL)=1 --->0.95exp(2*1*0.1)=1.15
    please help i cam confused on how to prove this

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted