Did I Have a Paranormal Visit on November 4, 2003?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Rottweiler, that was growling and barking at me! It was the most bizarre experience of my life!In summary, Jimmy P's new avatar is a dilbert strip featuring a black and white painted fox. Paul Crouch from Trinity Broadcasting TV showed a newspaper in a televised interview after the Challenger explosion in 1986 which depicted Satan's face with the smoke streamers portraying horns. Lenin is seen as Colonel Sanders in some people's eyes. Rasputin is seen as the hungriest dog.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
A new member's name made me remember seeing this awhile back.

"On November 4, 2003, I had a paranormal visitation.

The day started off normally enough. I had woken up at quarter of 7, as usual, and staggered into the kitchen to make my daughter's lunch for school. After it was bundled up in the box, I wearily stumbled to her room, got her up, and gave her schoolclothes to change into. A seemingly normal autumn morning, with everything nice and natural... or so I thought. "

continued...

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/lenin.html

Physics news on Phys.org
That's no Lenin...that's Colonel Sanders!

neutroncount said:
I do believe you're right! I saw that same apparition once at the bottom of an emptied bucket of greasy fried chicken. This is a prayer we say in the South when the good Colonel makes his holy vision known to us:

Blessed be Saint Sanders,
And blessed be his original recipe,
and his sacred 11 secret herbs and spices.
Amen.

This reminds me of a Dilbert strip where Dogbert draws a smiley face in a peanut butter jar and declares it the face of Saint Ted. Hundreds flock to witness the miracle and look for other saints in the household.

"I think I saw Elvis in the jello!"
"Only the king moves like that!"

LOL :rofl: :rofl:

Speaking of images, what's that new avatar you've been sporting, Jimmy P?

I got a little bored of my lil' fox just swishing his tail, so I thought I would have a little green blob. It may change again soon though so watch that space!

neutroncount said:
OMG, you're right! Lenin = Colonel Sanders! :surprise:

MIH, I love your prayer. :biggrin:

We refer to KFC as the "big bucket o' grease".

Evo said:
We refer to KFC as the "big bucket o' grease".
:rofl:
When I was growing up, KFC was a staple of our diet. They fell out of favor with me when they discontinued those Lil' Bucket desserts.

Jimmy P, I was tempted to paint your little fox animation black and white and send it to you to match your Chopnik Spraymaster title. :biggrin:

Anyway, what were we talking about? Oh, yeah.. Lenin and shower curtains. (Darn this A.D.D.!)

They fell out of favor with me when they discontinued those Lil' Bucket desserts.

Ditto.

When the space shuttle Challenger exploded during the launch phase back in 1986, there was a picture in the newspapers which showed an orange ball of fire plus two twisty smoke streamers left by the tumbling solid fuel boosters. I remember watching Trinity Broadcasting TV shortly after that event (some things never change!), and the host Paul Crouch held up a newpaper to the camera and pointed out that it looked like Satan's face, with the smoke streamers portraying the horns.

Math Is Hard said:
Jimmy P, I was tempted to paint your little fox animation black and white and send it to you to match your Chopnik Spraymaster title. :biggrin:

If you do that, then I will make that my avatar again! That would be so cool! :biggrin:

Oh yeah, it just seems that much like the oversensitivity thread, people just see what they like to see. Mainly because they are stupid. :tongue2:

jimmy p said:
If you do that, then I will make that my avatar again! That would be so cool! :biggrin:
send over the gif and I'll paint it up! :smile:

so all this business about seeing patterns - is that how inkblot tests got started? Does it say something very different about our personalities or basic natures if I see Lenin in the shower curtain but you see Colonel Sanders?

Math Is Hard said:
Does it say something very different about our personalities or basic natures if I see Lenin in the shower curtain but you see Colonel Sanders?
No, this just indicates which one of you is the hungriest at the moment.

A somewhat related story: When I was a kid, and while out one night collecting the $5 a month for each customer on my paper route, I approached a somewhat dirty and lonely looking house - [insert loud echo followed by a scream!] a new customer. :uhh: It was just about dark outside when I parked my bike and walked up to the front door. As I approached the porch, directly ahead of me was a low, large, open window with a little puppy sitting on the ledge. It looked to be a Chihuahua, or a poodle, but it was not real large, it looked freindly, and this put me at ease. Just about then this cute little puppy growled in a deep loud voice followed by even louder and deeper bark. I about jumped out of my pants! I was looking at the head of a dog, not an entire dog.

Math Is Hard said:
send over the gif and I'll paint it up! :smile:

How do I do that? :confused:

Just sent you an email. PM me if you don't get it.

What causes the appearance of a face in the shower curtain?

The appearance of a face in the shower curtain is often caused by pareidolia, which is a psychological phenomenon where our brain perceives familiar patterns or shapes in random stimuli. In this case, our brain may interpret the folds and creases in the shower curtain as a face.

Is seeing a face in the shower curtain a sign of a supernatural presence?

No, seeing a face in the shower curtain is not a sign of a supernatural presence. It is a common occurrence that can be explained by psychology and the way our brain processes visual information.

Can the appearance of a face in the shower curtain be prevented?

Yes, the appearance of a face in the shower curtain can be prevented by choosing a shower curtain with a solid color or pattern that is less likely to trigger pareidolia. Keeping the bathroom well-lit and avoiding shower curtains with busy or intricate designs can also help prevent this phenomenon.

Why do some people see a face in the shower curtain while others do not?

Individuals may have different levels of sensitivity to pareidolia, which can be influenced by factors such as age, culture, and personal experiences. Additionally, the position and lighting in the bathroom can also affect whether a person sees a face in the shower curtain or not.

Are there any other explanations for seeing a face in the shower curtain?

Aside from pareidolia, there could be other factors that contribute to seeing a face in the shower curtain, such as the curvature and texture of the curtain, or reflections from nearby objects like mirrors or windows. However, these explanations are still related to how our brain processes visual information and do not involve any supernatural or paranormal elements.