Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Face on Mars! True nature revealled

1. Dec 14, 2003 #1

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Face on Mars! True nature revealled!!

Is it less exciting that it's a mesa? Doesn't the pursuit of science generate its own excitement, wonder, and awe?

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap031214.html

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2003 #2
    Even though it's not a face, it still has some unusual lines for a natural formation, but so do some natural formations on earth.

4. Dec 15, 2003 #3
    It would be nice for people to simply say that it's a coincidence and nothing more, and just drop it.

5. Dec 15, 2003 #4

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nereid - Yes and yes...not that I ever believed it was a constructed face of course!

I think this topic will be more at home in the debunking forum...

6. Dec 15, 2003 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Looks like the Phantom of the Opera to me. Who knew Martians are Frank Lloyd Wright fans.

7. Dec 15, 2003 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it seems clear to me that Nereid has airbrushed out the real face; just more lies!

8. Dec 15, 2003 #7

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Airbrush?

Didn't I tell you? I flew there one night from my usual, cold home. With marcus and wolfram's help, we *chipped* away the perfect features first carved by the suruasotnorB on their journey away from buluxcihC, just moments before that fateful day a long time ago now.

Russ doesn't know it, but he helped too; remember that Martian probe that went AWOL? It would've shown the astonishing skill of the much lamented suruasotnorB, but it didn't make it to Mars orbit. Why? Well, there was a defective line of code, .... :wink:

9. Dec 15, 2003 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I knew it!!!

10. Dec 15, 2003 #9
    That face on mars is a little plain. Someone needs to airbrush a moustache on it. Or to make it interesting, an afro.

11. Dec 17, 2003 #10
  12. Apr 16, 2004 #11
    I quite agree Quantum and Phobos!
    It's no different to looking at clouds and seeing all manner of shapes.

13. Apr 18, 2004 #12
    Lion/Man Hominid

Have a look at both halves of that image separately, and in isolation. Then “fold” each over (mirror image) – ala Hoagland’s UN Briefing), and you have DOUBLE the coincidence!
    The left-half “folded over” gives a “Protohuman”, the right-half “folded over gives a “Lion”.
    The Sphinx (on Earth) is a Lion/Man Hominid.
    The coincidences compound, don’t they?

Ridicule all you like people, but TRY IT first…

This image strengthens the case for artificiality.

14. Apr 18, 2004 #13

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps we could try a 'double blind' "face" recognition test? Or a "protohuman + lion" one?

Ivan will select ~100 photos, approx x% of which will be of "protohumans + lions", the rest just interesting rock formations (e.g. in the Simpson desert, on Mars, in the Antartic, etc). Phobos will then process these images, to give the 'target' images the same sort of 'rocky' texture as the real rock formations, and to degrade the resulting 'statues' to account for 'weathering'. He will pass them to me, without revealing which are real rocks and which are "protohuman + lion". I will then show them to you, and you will pick which is which.

Of course, it doesn't have to be Ivan, Phobos and Nereid; it could be John Howard, GW Bush, and Tony Blair, or wolfram, Evo and SelfAdjoint, or ...

15. Apr 19, 2004 #14
    Show Me JUST ONE IMAGE from Earth?

Find me ONE SINGLE IMAGE of anything natural on Earth, which is comparable to the symmetry of the Face On Mars.
    You talk a lot, now lets see some action...

16. Apr 19, 2004 #15

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Best we take a somewhat more objective analysis Dogon - in terms of image analysis, what constitutes 'symmetry'?

In terms of your challenge, try this

17. Apr 19, 2004 #16
    That Is SO WEAK

If that is the best you can come up with (which I expected).
    Well...I consider my point WELL AND TRULY PROVEN.

Gee, it looks like a pyramid. Gee, there is some cloud cover and haze (and perhaps some smog), giving this illusion.

That is as weak as anything I have ever seen put forward to support the Admin object in 15 years of looking into the subject.

ANYBODY out there think they can come up with better than that tripe?

18. Apr 20, 2004 #17

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe this is called something like "shifting the goalposts".

Perhaps you would like to try write an objective criterion for the symmetry you seem to find so interesting?

19. Apr 23, 2004 #18

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A nice, symmetrical, natural object in Australia, which also looks somewhat like an evil eye? Another view.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?