Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Facebook chain letters

1. Aug 26, 2013 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am so annoyed with Facebook users who sharing information that is either a hoax (strawberry quick) or outdated information (missing people, abused animals). Why don't they check the source if they are so concerned? The hoax has long been revealed, the missing people were found months ago, the animal abuser has already been sentenced.

I'm thinking about starting a counter movement, to make people aware to check the source before sharing. I've never seen one pass by, does one already exist?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2013 #2
    The internet is both the great deliverer of information and the deceiver of information. This makes critical thinking an ever more important skill to have.

4. Aug 26, 2013 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just can't believe my friends are so stupid. Some have made it their life goal to share all that junk.

5. Aug 26, 2013 #4
    I use the hide feature often!

6. Aug 26, 2013 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, hide/ignore/report. I rather educate though, can't set parents 'in law' on ignore :smile:

7. Aug 26, 2013 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My best friend used to forward a lot of garbage to me. She was a very sweet person and I traveled a lot, so any time she got an e-mail with something that might endanger me (like people waking up in tubs of ice at a hotel and their kidneys removed), she'd get very worried and forward the e-mail to me. Even people at work would forward such e-mails. Now Facebook is just another way of spreading nonsense, which is another reason I don't use it as a personal account.

8. Aug 26, 2013 #7

Ryan_m_b

I was having a related conversation yesterday and pointed out that people not fact checking and obsessively passing on information is not new, the Internet just makes it more convenient. Of course this is normally countered by pointing out that if you can use the Internet to distribute information you can use it to check it the majority of people wouldn't have the first clue on where to begin other than typing into google and seeing what happens. That's why sites like yahoo ask are so popular even though most of it is unchecked junk.

In my education I don't remember having to do any modules on how to evaluate sources and fact check using the Internet until I got to university. Other than some semi-related lessons on different types of sources in history and IT classes it was pretty much left for students to learn themselves. IMO these type of critical thinking and self-learning skills should be taught at a much younger age and continue throughout education.

9. Aug 26, 2013 #8

Borg

Gold Member

Even a simple Google search would work if people would use it. I pity anyone who uses Yahoo Answers for their information source because there's so much bad information there. Plus, you have people like me who build their point totals by randomly voting for best answers. :rolleyes:

10. Aug 26, 2013 #9
    lol,
    some mentalities. lol

11. Aug 26, 2013 #10
    it's a waste of effort and time.for me anyways,
    i always try and end up getting the same ole' low level minded crap, or they become offended for some weird reason,
    so i do not bother anymore.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  12. Aug 26, 2013 #11
    I sometimes think that the people that forward those things are actually tooling us. They know that there are people that get into a monitor punching rage whenever they get a message asking money to give to google to give to charity for some little girl operation. I always had a pretty good opinion about humans so I can't believe that is just ignorant stupidity

13. Aug 26, 2013 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or even just clicking on the message that is being shared.

I agree, and I don't want to be the annoying person that always discredits the "good samaritan" efforts. But if someone demands to "Share!!!" a message that is 4 months old and long-resolved, my toes do curl.

14. Aug 26, 2013 #13
    lol i understand,
    because of things like this,
    i have been trying to work on my ignore function, but sometimes it's difficult.

15. Aug 26, 2013 #14

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The basic purpose of a social network site is to make money from advertising, not to provide its members with electronic communication tools and/or a social life.

Trying to change that, one networker at a time, is doomed to fail.

16. Aug 26, 2013 #15

russ_watters

Makes me sad. I have to restrain myself from responding a lot.

17. Aug 26, 2013 #16

russ_watters

Yes: I challenge anyone to find a relevant difference between the business models of Candy Crush and heroin.

18. Aug 26, 2013 #17

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A lot of these chain letters are actually business that sell facebook pages to companies. They put up a page where they say something like "we will pick one random person who likes this page to win a new car!" or "if 10000 people like this we can save Fluffy from leukemia!" and then they turn around and sell that page to a company for a couple pennies a like, at which point that company posts whatever they want (I imagine many of the people who buy these pages aren't legitimate companies either but running their own scam)

19. Aug 26, 2013 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I often wonder if the people sending them are really doing it. I mean, did they get hacked? Is FB allowing companies to *think* your otherwise brilliant cousin wants you to try a particular dish soap?

Btw: if any of my FB friends here get anything from me that looks like a pitch for dish soap, please know I've been hacked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook