Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Facebook ?Like? Button Illegal in Germany

1. Aug 19, 2011 #1
    A German court found that Facebook’s “Like” button violates EU data privacy laws.* It’s an interesting development.* Huffington Post has the story.* I’ll have more analysis tonight.* Stay tuned.  http://stats.wordpress.com/b.gif?host=virtualnavigator.wordpress.com&blog=11498882&post=667&subd=virtualnavigator&ref=&feed=1

Read More...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2011 #2
    Perhaps facebook should offer to have a pop up window appear to explain the "consequences" of clicking "like" and ask the person to make an informed decision?

4. Aug 25, 2011 #3
    Provided the individual knows that "liking" something reveals personal information, I don't see how they can violate the law.

On the other hand, at what point do users get to make up their own minds about how their behavior is seen by others?

5. Aug 25, 2011 #4
    Exactly! If they are first warned - then agree to share the information - there shouldn't be a problem.

6. Aug 25, 2011 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Germans must have a lot of time on their hands.

7. Aug 25, 2011 #6
    I realize this isn't the Politics forum - but maybe they have too many Government workers that need something to do - to justify their employment?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook