Facebook Likes

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date

"I ****ing love science" is a great page to "like", they have cool jokes and pictures and such.
Be careful about getting into 'discussions' on that page though. The people are a load of jerks... they thought I was an idiot for having an account for a cartoon/video game character. Not everybody wants to be themselves on Facebook you know!
In any case it's the friends I met online who get along with me better than the ones I knew in real life...

JonDE

I still don't get what the benefit would be, but aside from that, we don't have the ability (hours of needless judging of every individual post) to do something like this.

When I go to sites like yahoo or wiki answers, I am always finding crackpot or completely wrong answers being voted "best answer". I've been to too many sites where people with the highest rankings are posting absolute nonsense. Now I just ignore whatever nonsense title or rating they have. Unfortunately people that are used to this kind of worthless ranking don't realize how our SAs and HHs are actually vetted now.

Actually, the content is the main criteria. The content involves accuracy, attitude, and ability to post in a helpful manner.
I have to agree with Evo, I'm not certain how this would benefit PF, although I could see how it could in some ways do the opposite. I'm not certain, but I think "us" laymans outnumber the professionals on this site, quite possible by a large margin. In the sections that I frequent, I notice that certain question get asked over and over again, sometimes a new thread every week, about the same subject. Often it seems as though certain people don't like what the answer they are given is, even if this answer is accepted science.

An example, I could see certain situations where an FTL thread gets lots of likes or a high + count, where an actual professional who is disproving their claim ends up with a lot of - counts.

In the end, I think it would cause some grief, cause more work for moderators, and do little to help people learn, which I believe is one of the main goals of this site.