1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factor a 3rd order polynomial

1. Jul 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What are the steps to factoring 3rd order polynomials like x^3+8x^2-21x+10?
    It's to find eigenvalues of a matrix in linear algebra, I completely forgot how to factor and it's killing me.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    None, unless its a polynomial that I can factor by grouping, I have no clue how to begin.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

EDIT: Nevermind the below, that factor trick (the 'rational root test') doesn't work in this case. The discriminant is positive, but it turns out that all three roots are irrational.

For a cubic polynomial with integer coefficients, which is what you have, I believe one of the roots is typically a factor of the constant term. So, try the factors of 10 and see if one of them is a root. Once you've figured out one of the roots, you can factor an (x-root) term out by polynomial division, leaving you with (x-root)*quadratic, and the quadratic you can factor with the quadratic formula.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  4. Jul 4, 2012 #3
    :( so the pq thing with synthetic and what-the-other-one's-name division?
    I dont know why i didnt think of it (but that sounds really tedious).
    Thanks for your help! :)

5. Jul 4, 2012 #4
    Got it, so i happened to pick the only example in the book of a matrix with irrational eigenvalues. I'm still not so sure how to find the irrational roots of a 3rd order polynomial... i should change the name of this thread haha.

6. Jul 4, 2012 #5

eumyang

Homework Helper

There's always the cubic formula, but using it is a bit... tedious. :eek:

7. Jul 7, 2012 #6
    To add to what "eumyang"" said, using the Cubic Formula to get an exact algebraic result is, indeed, a bit tedious.

On the other hand, if you are fine with numerical results, there are several free online utilities available; some of them are listed at the bottom of that Wikipedia page.

In addition, I refer you to an old post I made at the bottom of the following thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=580075&page=2

A search of these forums would probably turn up much more information about factoring a cubic polynomial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook