Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Factor Formulae

1. Jun 24, 2011 #1
    Hi all,

I have an exam today but the questions which will come up I have never come across before. Some of the questions involve the Factor Formulae which I have never seen before so I was wondering whether you might give some examples and perhaps links to other pages where I can take a long revision.

1. Using the factor formulae evaluate the integrals of the type (sinx cos3x)dx

2. Use the factor formulae to prove trig identities.

I have a general understanding of Trigonometry and I have just completed my Calculus.

We've just been told today about this exam and I have no idea how the factor formulae looks like and how to use it.

Thanks.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For prove trig using the Factor formulae:

Prove that: 4(cosx + cos2x)sin3xsinx = cos4x - cos8x

My take:

=2(cosx + cos2x) 2sin3xsinx
    Reverse using factor formulae
    =2(cosx + cos2x)(cos4x - cos2x)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Googl! :smile:
    nooo, wrong direction :redface:

general rule of thumb: always try to make things simpler, not more complicated! :biggrin:

sinsin is simpler than (cos + cos), so use the factor formula https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=18" on everything except the sin3xsinx :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook