Hi all,Factor Formulae for Trigonometry

• Thread starter Googl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulae
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of factor formulae in evaluating integrals and proving trigonometry identities. The speaker is preparing for an exam and is seeking examples and resources to better understand the concept. They also mention a specific example of proving the identity 4(cosx + cos2x)sin3xsinx = cos4x - cos8x using the factor formulae.
Googl
Hi all,

I have an exam today but the questions which will come up I have never come across before. Some of the questions involve the Factor Formulae which I have never seen before so I was wondering whether you might give some examples and perhaps links to other pages where I can take a long revision.

1. Using the factor formulae evaluate the integrals of the type (sinx cos3x)dx

2. Use the factor formulae to prove trig identities.

I have a general understanding of Trigonometry and I have just completed my Calculus.

We've just been told today about this exam and I have no idea how the factor formulae looks like and how to use it.

Thanks.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For prove trig using the Factor formulae:

Prove that: 4(cosx + cos2x)sin3xsinx = cos4x - cos8x

My take:

=2(cosx + cos2x) 2sin3xsinx
Reverse using factor formulae
=2(cosx + cos2x)(cos4x - cos2x)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Googl! :smile:
Googl said:
Prove that: 4(cosx + cos2x)sin3xsinx = cos4x - cos8x

My take:

=2(cosx + cos2x) 2sin3xsinx
Reverse using factor formulae
=2(cosx + cos2x)(cos4x - cos2x)

nooo, wrong direction :redface:

general rule of thumb: always try to make things simpler, not more complicated! :biggrin:

sinsin is simpler than (cos + cos), so use the factor formula https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=18" on everything except the sin3xsinx :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the factor formula for a quadratic equation?

The factor formula for a quadratic equation is (ax + b)(cx + d), where a and c are the coefficients of the squared term, b and d are the coefficients of the linear term, and x is the variable.

How do you find the factors of a number using the factor formula?

To find the factors of a number using the factor formula, you can plug in the number for x and solve for the values of a, b, c, and d. These values will be the factors of the given number.

Can the factor formula be used for cubic or higher degree equations?

No, the factor formula is specific to quadratic equations and cannot be used for cubic or higher degree equations.

What is the difference between factor formula and factoring?

The factor formula is a specific equation used to find the factors of a quadratic equation, while factoring is a general method used to break down a polynomial into its factors. The factor formula is a type of factoring, but factoring can also involve other methods such as grouping and the difference of squares.

How is the factor formula related to the quadratic formula?

The factor formula can be used to derive the quadratic formula. By expanding and simplifying the factor formula, you will end up with the quadratic formula x = (-b ± √(b²-4ac)) / 2a.