1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factor Formulae

1. Jun 24, 2011 #1
    Hi all,

I have an exam today but the questions which will come up I have never come across before. Some of the questions involve the Factor Formulae which I have never seen before so I was wondering whether you might give some examples and perhaps links to other pages where I can take a long revision.

1. Using the factor formulae evaluate the integrals of the type (sinx cos3x)dx

2. Use the factor formulae to prove trig identities.

I have a general understanding of Trigonometry and I have just completed my Calculus.

We've just been told today about this exam and I have no idea how the factor formulae looks like and how to use it.

Thanks.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For prove trig using the Factor formulae:

Prove that: 4(cosx + cos2x)sin3xsinx = cos4x - cos8x

My take:

=2(cosx + cos2x) 2sin3xsinx
    Reverse using factor formulae
    =2(cosx + cos2x)(cos4x - cos2x)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Googl! :smile:
    nooo, wrong direction :redface:

general rule of thumb: always try to make things simpler, not more complicated! :biggrin:

sinsin is simpler than (cos + cos), so use the factor formula https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=18" on everything except the sin3xsinx :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook