1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factor Groups

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let G be a group, and let H be a normal subgroup of G. Must show that every subgroup K' of the factor group G/H has the form K'=K/H, where K is a subgroup of G that contains H.

2. Relevant equations
    I dont see how to get started.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I wrote down the definitions of each factor group, G/H and K/H. If K'=K/H, then H must be normal in K.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2009 #2
    To prove this fact I tried to show that K' is contain in K/H for some subgroup H in G and vice versa.

4. Nov 25, 2009 #3
    It might help thinking of this problem with the natural homomorphis, g: G -> G/H. From this you can show that for any subgroup of K' of G/H, g^-1(K') is a subgroup of G, containing K. Then maybe an isomorphism theorem jumps at you after that?

Note: g^-1(K') is the pre-image of g, ie; g^-1(K') = { a in G | g(a) is in K' }

5. Nov 26, 2009 #4
    I created an example where this theorem holds and observe that K must be defined as the set containing all elements in each element of K' (i.e., in each coset of G/H that is contain in K'). With this choice of K, the theorem works. I am now having alittle trouble justifying that K is indeed a subgroup.

6. Nov 26, 2009 #5
    Well, this was what I was trying to say:

Let H be a normal subgroup of G. Let g: G -> G/H. Let K' be a subgroup of G/K. We claim that g^-1(K') = { a in G | g(a) is in K' } forms a subgroup in G, which contains H (and actually we claim to show, later that this is the subgroup we wish to find).

K = g^-1(K') is a subgroup of G:

K is not empty, and contains H: In fact, H (which is not empty) is a subset of G, since for any h in H, g(a) = hH = eH (the identity element in G/H, which is clearly an element of K' since K' is a group).

K is closed: let a, b be in K, then g(a) is in K', and g(b) is in K', so g(ab) = g(a)g(b) is in K' since K' is a group.

K contains inverses: let a be in K, then g(a) is in K', so g(a)^-1 = g(a^-1) is in K', so a^-1 is in K.

Ok, so now we show there is an isomorphism between K/H and K'. But this should be clear to you since H is the kernel of the map of g.

So as we've shown, for each K' a subgroup of G/H is isomorphic to a subgroup K/H, K a subgroup of G.

7. Nov 29, 2009 #6
    I got it, thank you. I did not consider defining this mapping. It follows by closure that g is a homomorphism and that the Kernel of g is normal to K. Then by the first isomorphism theorem it follows that the factor group K/(ker g) is isomorphic to K'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook