1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factor Groups

1. Jun 14, 2010 #1
    I have a few question concerning factor groups.

1. In a proof for the fact that if a finite factor group G/N has 2 elements, then N is a normal subgroup of G, it says:
    "For each a in G but not in H, both the left coset aH, and right coset Ha, must consist of all elements in G that are not in H".

Why is this so?

2. For the alternating group A_4, let H be a subgroup of order 6 (the point is to show there's no subgroup of order 6), it says that A_4/H = {H, sH} for some s in A_4 but not in H. Also, (H)(H) = H, (sH)(sH) = H. It then says, a in H implies a^2 in H, and b in sH implies b^2 in H. That is, the square of any element in A_4 must be in H.

Where does the last sentence come from? The line before that says the square of anything in H or sH is in H, so why does it then conclude this is also true for any element of A_4?

3. In an example, it says that (Z_4 x Z_6)/<(2,3)> has order 12 (just use lagrange's theorem), it then concludes that this factor group must be isomorphic to Z_4 x Z_3 or Z_2 x Z_2 x Z_3. (Z_n is the group {0, 1, ..., n-1}.)

I think it used the fundamental theorem of finitely generated abelian groups here. But that would require (Z_4 x Z_6)/<(2,3)> to be finitely generated. Is there any obvious way to see this? (It is obviously abelian).

We can see that (Z_4 x Z_6) = <(1,0) , (0,1)> so is finitely generated, but is there a theorem that says if G is finitely generated then so is its factor group G/N? (My textbook has a theorem that if G is cyclic then G/N is cyclic, but (Z_4 x Z_6) is not cyclic.) Or is every finite group finitely generated?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2010 #2
    I took algebra last semester, and it is already fuzzy in my mind. See if the following helps.
    1. Two left cosets {H, aH}. Two right cosets {H, Ha}. G = H ∪ aH = H ∪ Ha. Hence, aH = Ha = G-H.
    2. |A4| = 12. |H| = 6. Do you see how the conclusion now follows from #1?
    3. If G is finite, then it is trivially finitely generated by all of itself.

4. Jun 14, 2010 #3
    Ahh right. I forgot that the set of coset partition the group. Then the result is obvious.
    I knew that #1 implied everything up until the last sentence. I'm still not sure where the last sentence comes from.
    I see.

5. Jun 14, 2010 #4
    Because A4 = H ∪ sH.

6. Jun 14, 2010 #5
    Hey. Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook