Factor Out x: Homework Help

• Thread starter skateza
  • Start date
In summary: The first part, the polynomial, evaluates to 10. The fraction's denominator goes to zero, so that part goes to infinity. Hence the limit does not exist (the function approaches infinity as x approaches 2).
skateza

Homework Statement

lim x->2 (x^3-2x)/(x-2)

i have done this one thousand ways... factor out the x, multiply top and bottom by (x-2) and (x+2)... i have tried lots of things but i can't get it to work, any tips how to start this off?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try long division and then express the remainder term as a rational function, and then apply L'hopital's rule to it.

yeah, we definitely haven't gone that far...

Long division of polynomials is just like normal long division and many tutorials are on the internet. Using it we get the following result: [tex]\frac{x^3-2x}{x-2} = x^2 + 2x+ 2 + \frac{4}{x-2}[/tex].

You should check it by expanding the right hand side.

The first part, the polynomial, evaluates to 10. The fraction's denominator goes to zero, so that part goes to infinity. Hence the limit does not exist (the function approaches infinity as x approaches 2).

bel, you can't apply L'hopital's rule to the ration function because it does not fit any of the indeterminate forms. Using it leads to an incorrect result.

skateza said:

Homework Statement

lim x->2 (x^3-2x)/(x-2)

i have done this one thousand ways... factor out the x, multiply top and bottom by (x-2) and (x+2)... i have tried lots of things but i can't get it to work, any tips how to start this off?

The first thing you should do with a limit is to put the number in, completely ignoring the fact that it's a limit. If you get something like x/0 where x isn't 0, then no fooling about with anything will make that limit finite. So in this case, the limit is simply infinite.

What does it mean to "factor out x"?

Factoring out x is a technique used in algebra to simplify an expression by pulling out a common factor that contains the variable x. This is done by dividing each term in the expression by the common factor, leaving a simplified expression without any common factors.

Why is factoring out x important?

Factoring out x allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations more easily. It also helps us to identify patterns and relationships between different expressions, making it an important skill in higher level mathematics.

How do you factor out x?

To factor out x, look for the largest common factor that contains x in each term of the expression. Then, divide each term by this common factor, leaving the simplified expression with x factored out.

Can you give an example of factoring out x?

Sure! Let's look at the expression 3x + 6x^2. The largest common factor that contains x is x itself, so we can factor it out. This leaves us with x(3 + 6x), which is the factored form of the expression.

How does factoring out x help us solve equations?

Factoring out x allows us to solve equations by isolating the variable on one side of the equation. By factoring out x and setting the expression equal to zero, we can then use techniques such as the quadratic formula to solve for the variable x.