Factor Rings and Ideals?

• Thread starter PhysicsHelp12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary: The second statement is just1) [5] = [0]2) [5] + [0] = [0] + [0]3) [5 + 0] = [0 + 0]4) [5] = [0]It's the same reasoning, except that you're using 5 instead of 2+i.
PhysicsHelp12
Hi so this isn't homework its in my book , i just don't get it they skipped this step

Let R=Z(i) be the ring of gaussian integers and let A=(2+i)R denote the ideal of all multiples of 2+i Describe the cosets of R/A

im just having trouble understaning this step:

"Since 2+i is in A we have i+A=-2+A"

and then it does it again "Since 5 is in A 5+A=0+A"

why is this?

thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The first one is, uh, wrong in its reasoning.

Note in general, if a-b is in an ideal I, then a+I = b+I. You should try proving this on your own. In particular, 5 = 5-0 is in A, so 5+A = 0+A

thanks Shredder:

I have no idea how to prove that I've been trying for an hour

I don't see why office shredder called the first piece of reasoning wrong. I'll write [a] for the coset a+I. The first statement is just

1) [2+i]= [0] (certainly true)

2) [2+i] + [-2] = [0] + [-2]

3) [2+i -2] = [0 - 2]

4) =[-2]

All fine there.

What part of the second bit is troubling you? Write out what you've done.

Whoops, I thought it said i+A = 2+A. Missed the - sign there

1. What is a factor ring?

A factor ring is a mathematical structure that is created by taking a ring and factoring out one of its ideals. This results in a new ring that contains all of the elements of the original ring, but also has additional elements that are generated by the ideal.

2. What is an ideal?

An ideal is a subset of a ring that satisfies certain properties, such as closure under addition and multiplication by elements of the ring. Ideals are used in the construction of factor rings and play an important role in abstract algebra.

3. How do you determine if an ideal is prime or maximal?

An ideal is prime if its factor ring is an integral domain, meaning that it has no zero divisors. An ideal is maximal if it is prime and cannot be properly contained in any other ideal. To determine if an ideal is prime or maximal, one can use various criteria such as the ideal's generators and the structure of the factor ring.

4. Can factor rings be used to solve problems in other areas of mathematics?

Yes, factor rings have many applications in various areas of mathematics such as algebraic geometry, number theory, and coding theory. They can also be used to study the structure and properties of other mathematical objects, such as groups and fields.

5. What are some common examples of factor rings and ideals?

Some common examples of factor rings and ideals include the quotient ring of integers modulo n, where n is a positive integer, and the ideal of polynomials with integer coefficients that are divisible by a fixed integer. Other examples include the ideal of all continuous functions that vanish at a fixed point, and the ideal of all matrices with a fixed determinant.