1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factor(s) that affect percent yield

1. Oct 25, 2005 #1
    Hi everyone,
    For a science lab, I am asked to find the following:

What factor(s) affect percent yield in a reaction which produces calcium carbonate?

We are given a selection of chemicals to use to get the [tex]CaCl_2[/tex] but I have chosen the following:

[tex]CaCl_2 + Na_2CO_3 --> CaCO_3 + 2NaCl[/tex]

We are to do at least 4 trials of changing the grams of [tex]Na_2CO_3 [/tex].
    I'm not sure what are the factors that affect % yeild. Would is be Molarity?
    Any help would be appreciated,
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2005 #2
    anyone? :/
  4. Oct 26, 2005 #3
    % yield has two factors, theoretical and actual yield. There should be nothing that varies with your theoretical yield, so it should be your actual yield in the 4 trials that affect your % yield.

EDIT: wait, as long as you 'do not' change the quantity of chemical in your trials, the theoretical yield should not change. But it will vary if you do change the quantities.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?