1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factorial and limits

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    So I've been asked to prove that:

lim (n-->infinity) [2^n]/sqrt(n!) = 0

I've tried fiddling with Stirling and L'Hospital, but can't find my way through it.

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show us some of your 'fiddling'. If you use Stirling, it's not that hard.

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3
    Stirling brought me to:

lim n-->inf [2^n * e^(n/2)]/n^(n/2+1/4)

I've also been able to express it as:

lim n-->inf [2 * e^(1/2)]^n / n^(n/2+1/4)

And I won't show you L'Hospital's results since it gets horrible... Anyways, I feel there's something obvious about it that I cannot see. L'Hospital won't help me as long as I have something^n in my numerator...

I'm turning in circle.

5. Feb 7, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at the log of your expression. log(2^n/sqrt(n!))=log(2^n)-log(sqrt(n!))~n*log(2)-(1/2)*n*log(n). That goes to -infinity as n->infinity, right? That means 2^n/sqrt(n!) goes to zero, also right? Notice I threw out all terms in Stirling's approximation except for log(n!)~n*log(n). The wouldn't be important unless the n*log(n) had cancelled out. It grows faster than all the other terms.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  6. Feb 8, 2010 #5
    Thanks for the hint, but I think I may have found another way to prove it.

2^n may be splitted into n-1 products of n: 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * ... * 2 <-- doing this n times
    sqrt(n!) may also be splitted into products like: sqrt(1) * sqrt(2) * sqrt(3) * ... * sqrt(n)

Thus, I may recreate products of fraction like:
    [2/sqrt(1)] * [2/sqrt(2)] * [2/sqrt(3)] * [2/sqrt(4)] * ... [2/sqrt(n)]

This makes it obvious that the limit converges to 0 since denominators increase, but numerators stay constant. Right?

7. Feb 8, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. That's another way. To phrase it differently, if f(n)=n!/sqrt(n!) then f(n+1)/f(n)=2/sqrt(n+1). That ratio is less than 1/2 for large n. You can appeal to sort of a ratio test.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook