Factorial identity question

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to manipulate the left hand side of the given identity to get to the right hand side. It is suggested to add and subtract 1 in the numerator and combine 2i and 1.
Paul245
[itex]\frac{2 i}{(2 i + 1)!}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{(2 i)!}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{(2 i + 1)!}[/itex]

Could anybody please show what it is that needs to be done on LHS to get to RHS in this identity.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Paul245 said:
[itex]\frac{2 i}{(2 i + 1)!}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{(2 i)!}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{(2 i + 1)!}[/itex]

Could anybody please show what it is that needs to be done on LHS to get to RHS in this identity.

(2i + 1)! = (2i+1)(2i!)

[itex]\frac{2i}{(2i+1)!}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{2i}{(2i+1)(2i)! }[/itex]
=[itex]\frac{2i}{2i(2i)! + (2i)! }[/itex]
= [itex]\frac{2i}{2i(2i)! + 2i (2i - 1)! }[/itex]
= [itex]\frac{1}{(2i)! + (2i - 1)! }[/itex]

and now what?

Paul245 said:
[itex]\frac{2i}{(2i+1)!}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{2i}{(2i+1)(2i)! }[/itex]
=[itex]\frac{2i}{2i(2i)! + (2i)! }[/itex]
= [itex]\frac{2i}{2i(2i)! + 2i (2i - 1)! }[/itex]
= [itex]\frac{1}{(2i)! + (2i - 1)! }[/itex]

and now what?

Nah, you've gone at that the wrong way.

Start with the question, and use coolul007's hint to get a common denominator on the right hand side.

Another way to go about: Add and subtract 1 in the numerator and club 2i and 1.

thanks acabus, all

1. What is the factorial identity question?

The factorial identity question is a mathematical problem that involves finding the value of an expression that contains factorial notation, where the factorial of a number is the product of all the positive integers from 1 up to that number.

2. How do you solve a factorial identity question?

To solve a factorial identity question, you can use the factorial formula, which states that n! = n * (n-1) * (n-2) * ... * 3 * 2 * 1. You can plug in the given values and simplify the expression to find the answer.

3. What is the difference between factorial identity and factorial notation?

Factorial identity refers to a specific mathematical problem, while factorial notation is the symbol used to represent the factorial operation. The exclamation mark (!) is used to denote factorial notation, such as 5! = 5 * 4 * 3 * 2 * 1.

4. Can you provide an example of a factorial identity question?

One example of a factorial identity question is: What is the value of 6! - 4!? To solve this, you would use the factorial formula to get 6! = 6 * 5 * 4 * 3 * 2 * 1 = 720, and 4! = 4 * 3 * 2 * 1 = 24. Therefore, the answer is 720 - 24 = 696.

5. How is the factorial identity question used in real life?

The factorial identity question has many applications in fields such as statistics, probability, and combinatorics. It is used to calculate the number of possible combinations or arrangements in a given scenario, making it a valuable tool in problem-solving and decision-making. It is also used in computer science and programming to optimize algorithms and code efficiency.