Why Does the Limit of (n! / n^2) Approach Infinity?

In summary: Then, divide both the numerator and denominator by (n!). You should be able to see that the resulting limit will approach zero as n approaches infinity.
ThatDude

Homework Statement

So, I'm doing a series problem, and after applying the root test I end up with the following limit:

Lim as n--> inf of (n! / n^2) = infinity according to the solution manual.

I can't seem to understand this because the way I look at it, each term in the numerator is getting smaller [ (n)(n-1)(n-2)..] but each term in the denominator is staying constant as n^2. So shouldn't the limit equal zero?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
ThatDude said:

Homework Statement

So, I'm doing a series problem, and after applying the root test I end up with the following limit:

I can't seem to understand this because the way I look at it, each term in the numerator is getting smaller [ (n)(n-1)(n-2)..] but each term in the denominator is staying constant as n^2. So shouldn't the limit equal zero?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Google 'properties of factorial function' for example. You will see exactly what is going on for large n.

For [itex]n \geq 3[/itex] we have
[tex]
\frac{n!}{n^2} \geq \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{n^2} = n - 3 + \frac{2}{n}.
[/tex] The inequality follows from the fact that if [itex]n = 3[/itex] then [itex]n! = n(n-1)(n-2)[/itex] whilst if [itex]n \geq 4[/itex] then [itex](n-3) \times \dots \times 1 \geq 1[/itex].

I recommand stirling approximation, it will be very appropriate for this case, it states that when n goes to infinity n! = √(2πn) * (n/e)^n, so try it !

ThatDude said:

Homework Statement

You're looking at the wrong end in the numerator. Look at the n=3, n=4, and n=5 terms, for example. You have
\begin{align*}
\frac{3!}{3^2} &= \frac{3\cdot 2\cdot 1}{3\cdot 3} \\
\frac{4!}{4^2} &= \frac{4 \cdot 3\cdot 2\cdot 1}{4 \cdot 4} \\
\frac{5!}{5^2} &= \frac{5\cdot 4 \cdot 3\cdot 2\cdot 1}{5 \cdot 5}
\end{align*} Can you see the mistake in your reasoning?

Last edited:
So let's say I have the sequence n!(2^n) /(2n)!, how would I show that this converges to zero.

ThatDude said:
So let's say I have the sequence n!(2^n) /(2n)!, how would I show that this converges to zero.
Start by expanding the (2n)! in the denominator to (2n)(2n -1) ...(n+1)(n!).

1. What does the equation "Limit of (n! / n^2) = ∞" mean?

This equation is known as the limit of a sequence. It represents the value that a sequence approaches as the input (n) gets larger and larger. In this case, the sequence is (n! / n^2) which means the factorial of n divided by n squared. When n approaches infinity, the value of the sequence also approaches infinity.

2. Why does the equation "Limit of (n! / n^2) = ∞" result in infinity?

This is because the factorial function grows much faster than the square function. As n approaches infinity, the factorial of n will also grow exponentially, while the square of n will only grow linearly. This causes the overall value of the sequence to approach infinity.

3. Can the limit of (n! / n^2) be any other value besides infinity?

No, the limit of (n! / n^2) can only be infinity. This is because the factorial function will always grow faster than any polynomial function, such as the square function in this case. Therefore, the limit will always approach infinity as n gets larger and larger.

4. How can this equation be useful in real-world applications?

The concept of limit of a sequence is used in many areas of science and engineering to study the behavior of systems as they approach infinity. In particular, this equation can be useful in analyzing the growth rate of certain processes or phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, or computer algorithms.

5. Is there a way to solve for the value of the limit of (n! / n^2) without using infinity as the result?

No, there is no other value that can be used to represent the limit of (n! / n^2) besides infinity. This is because, as mentioned before, the factorial function will always grow faster than any polynomial function, making the limit approach infinity. It is important to note that the limit is a theoretical concept and does not necessarily have a numerical value in real-world scenarios.