1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factorial simplification

1. Jun 16, 2009 #1
    Can somebody please explain to me this simplification and how it's done?

[tex]\frac{n!}{(2n)!}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{(2n)(2n-1)...(n+1)}[/tex]

Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2009 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

The original denominator is

[tex]
    (2n)! = (2n)(2n-1) \cdots (n+1) n!
    [/tex]

so things simply cancel.

4. Jun 16, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the help. I still don't understand the (n + 1), where does it come from? I've tried to search the net, and my textbooks but I never found examples of (xn)!, only n! = n(n-1)!.

5. Jun 16, 2009 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

Think about the meaning of [tex] (2n)! [/tex]. It contains all the integers from [tex] 2n [/tex] down to [tex] 1 [/tex]. When you write out the entire factorial you must write down each one of those integers, and [tex] n + 1 [/tex] is one of them.

As a specific (but small enough to write down) example, look what happens for [tex] n = 4 [/tex]. This clearly means [tex] n+1 = 5 [/tex], which is the number I've placed in a box.

[tex]
    \begin{align*}
    \frac{n!}{(2n)!} & =\frac{4!}{8!} = \frac{4 \cdot 3 \cdot 2 \cdot 1}{6 \cdot \boxed{5} \cdot 4 \cdot 3 \cdot 2 \cdot 1}\\
    & = \frac{1}{8 \cdot 7 \cdot 6 \cdot \boxed{5}}= \frac{1}{(2n)\cdots (n+1)}
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

Basically, when you write out the factorials in numerator and denominator, the final [tex] n [/tex] factors cancel. Hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook