1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factorials and squares

1. Sep 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For some natural N the no of positive integers x satisfying the equation
    1! + 2! + 3! + ........ + x! = (N)2 is:

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea of how to start.. never came across such problems.
    By trial i have got two values for x being 1 and 3. And the answer is also two . But how do i prove it?

Please help.(just a starting guidance would be very useful)
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Past x=3, the sum of factorials always has a 3 in the last place, s4=33, s5 = 153, ... You need to argue that the square of a natural number cannot end with a 3.
  4. Sep 27, 2010 #3
    Or better yet argue n(n-1)(n-2) > n^2 for n>3. If you can prove this you know for N>3 your relation can't hold, since n! > n^2 will be true.
  5. Sep 27, 2010 #4
    I found this easier, Thanks. Though i could find the answer by your method too JonF thanks!
  6. Sep 27, 2010 #5
    You need to prove this fact if you use his method, “Past x=3, the sum of factorials always has a 3 in the last place"

n(n-1)(n-2) > n^2 for n>3 Is simple algebra.

If you expand n(n-1)(n-2) you get (n^2-n)(n-2) = n^3 – 2n^2 –n^2 +2n= n^3 – 3n^2 +2n = n^2(n-3) +2n

n^2(n-3) +2n is clearly positive if n>3.
  7. Sep 28, 2010 #6
    Ok.. got it.
  8. Sep 28, 2010 #7
    I'm not overly sure this is useful, as the way I read the original question x and N are two (possibly) different numbers.

It could be, for instance that 1! + 2! + 3! + 4! + 5! == 162, instead of the 52 you seem to be suggesting. Of course it isn't, but have I misinterpreted what you're saying?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook