1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factoring a cube

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to find out when the denominator of this equation is zero so I can tell when the graph has asymptotes or holes. For squares I factor such as x2+2x-15 = (x+5) (x-3). How do I do that with a cube?

2. Relevant equations

(x-5) (x+3)
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2
    Have you tried the factor theorem?

Take factors of the last coefficient, which in this case is -5. So you have +/- 1,5 as factors. Substitute those into the polynomial to see which give you 0. In this case it turns out to be 5, s (x-5) is a factor. Now divide X^3-5x^2+x-5 by (x-5), which will give you a quadratic with a remainder of 0. You may or may not be able to further factor the quadratic.
  4. Sep 25, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sometimes you can factor just by looking at it, I see x^2*(x-5)+(x-5) right away. In more complicated cases it's handy to use the fact if you write the f(x)=the polynomial, then f(a)=0 means (x-a) is a factor. Divide it out and then try to factor what's left. For easily guessing what might be a root, look up the 'rational roots theorem'.
  5. Sep 25, 2008 #4
    Thank you!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?