How can I factor a cubic equation by hand to find the x-intercepts?

In summary, the person is asking for help with factoring a cubic polynomial by hand in order to find the x intercepts of the given function. They have tried factoring by pieces but have not been successful. They are wondering if there is a way to factor the zeros out of the function and if they are incorrect in assuming this. The moderator notes that textbook-style exercises should be posted in the appropriate forum and suggests using synthetic division to solve the problem.
DecayProduct
This is not a homework question, per se, because I'm not a student. But it is a problem I found in a book. Actually, the problem doesn't involve what I'm going to ask, but it did present an opportunity for me to explore the subject.

I have the graph of [tex]f(x)=x^{3}+3x^{2}-9x+3[/tex]. I know the x intercepts of the function from looking at the graph, what I want to know is how to factor the equation by hand to derive those intercepts.

[tex]x(x^{2}+3x^{2}-9)=-3[/tex] doesn't help because factoring the quadratic in the middle gives me the zeros of that particular piece, which are meaningless, because I'm not looking for those zeros. I've tried factoring by pieces, but I can't get the right products to pop out.

Surely, because the graph exists at all, and because the function is continuous across the x-axis, then there must be a way to factor the zeros out of [tex]f(x)[/tex]? Or am I totally off base with that assumption?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know that the number a is a root of the equation, then it is trivial to factor out the binomial x - a from the cubic polynomial. Otherwise, you can only really get as far as the rational roots test before having to resort to iteration algorithms to converge to irrational roots (ie., the Newton-Raphson method).

If the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_root_theorem" without resorting to numerical approximations. (See the two clickable links in that previous sentence for more details.)

p.s...

Moderator's note:

Any textbook-style exercises are to be posted in the appropriate forum in our https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152" area. This should be done even if the problem is part of one's independent study. Basically, it's prohibitively difficult to moderate a lot of questions based on whether it's for an actual course assignment.

I have gone ahead and moved this thread to our "Homework" forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try synthetic division...

What is a cubic equation?

A cubic equation is a polynomial equation of the third degree, meaning it has at least one term with a variable raised to the power of 3. It can be written in the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0.

Why is factoring a cubic equation important?

Factoring a cubic equation allows us to find the roots or solutions of the equation, which are the values of x that make the equation equal to 0. This is useful in solving real-world problems and understanding the behavior of graphs.

What is the process of factoring a cubic equation?

The process of factoring a cubic equation involves finding the common factors between the terms and grouping them together. Then, using various factoring methods such as the difference of cubes or grouping, the equation can be simplified to its simplest form.

What if the cubic equation cannot be factored?

If a cubic equation cannot be factored, it can still be solved using other methods such as the quadratic formula or completing the square. However, these methods may result in complex solutions.

How is factoring a cubic equation related to finding its roots?

Factoring a cubic equation is directly related to finding its roots, as the factors of the equation are also the solutions or roots of the equation. This means that factoring allows us to easily find the values of x that make the equation equal to 0.