1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factoring a Cubic Function

1. Sep 8, 2012 #1
    Alright, so I need a little brush up on my pre calc apparently! I need to determine the x-intercepts of the following function.

y=x^3 + 2

I know I need to factor it... I'm just not completely sure how! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2012 #2
    There's no need to factor. The x-intercepts are when y=0, so you just need to solve the equation:

[itex]0=x^3+2[/itex]

4. Sep 9, 2012 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Calcuconfused, If you move the 2 onto the other side of [itex]0=x^3+2[/itex] and then take the cube root of both sides, you'll end up with [tex]x=-\sqrt[3]{2}[/tex] so if you were to try and factor it (in case you need to find the factors for another purpose, such as to show what all 3 roots are) you're going to have an ugly thing to factor.

But regardless, if you need to factor it, you'll end up with a linear factor and a quadratic factor, and since we've already shown one of the roots, the end result will be of the form

[tex]\left(x+\sqrt[3]{2}\right)\left(x^2+ax+\sqrt[3]{4}\right)[/tex]

For some yet to be found constant value a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook