Can this polynomial with integer coefficients be factored?

In summary, the polynomial x^{5024}+x^{1004}+1 cannot be factored with integer coefficients as it has no rational roots. If we allow for complex coefficients, it can be factored into 2512 quadratic factors with real coefficients. For polynomials of the form x^n+x^m+1 where both n and m are even integers, it is possible to factor it with integer coefficients if n is an integral multiple of m.
sutupidmath
the question is this: factor the following polynomial with integer coefficients:

[tex]x^{5024}+x^{1004}+1[/tex]

my first thought is that since this polynomial doesn't have real roots such a factorization isn't even possible, but i really don't have any more clever idea how to factor this one.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The only possible rational roots of that are 1 and -1. Obviously neither of those satisfies the equation [itex]x^{5024}+ x^{1004}+ 1= 0[/itex] so it has no rational roots and so cannot be factored with integer coefficients.

Ok now, say we take out the requirement that the coefficients be integers. Then, if we are simply looking to express that polynomial as a product of two other polinomials, then will it include inevitably complex coefficients? Or, how would that factorization in terms of two other polynomials look like? Since, we won't have real roots, i see that there will only be complex roots, so even the factorization, from my point of view, seems to include inevitably complex coefficients, right?

Not necessarily. Since it has real coefficients, all complex roots must come in "complex conjugate" pairs: a+ bi and a- bi. Any factorization into linear factors would have to be of the form (x-(a+bi))(x-(a-bi)) but those multiplied together: ((x-a)- bi)((x-a)+ bi)= (x-a)2+ b2= x2- 2ax+ a2+ b2 so it can be factored into 5024/2= 2512 quadratic factors with real coefficients.

so, does it mean that in general any polynomial, say of the form

[tex] x^n+x^m+1[/tex] where both n,m are even integers cannot be factored over the integers. That is cannot be written, say as a product of two polynomials with integer coefficients?

I say this is possible to be written, right? SInce, i can already find a counterexample if you say otherwise? So, when would it be the case? i assume wehnever n, is an integral multiple of m, right?

1. What is factoring a polynomial?

Factoring a polynomial is the process of breaking down an algebraic expression into smaller parts, called factors. These factors can then be multiplied together to get the original polynomial.

2. Why is factoring a polynomial important?

Factoring a polynomial is important because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations more easily. It is also a fundamental concept in algebra and is used in many other areas of mathematics and science.

3. How do you factor a polynomial?

To factor a polynomial, we first look for common factors and then use various methods such as grouping, difference of squares, and trial and error to factor the polynomial completely.

4. What are the benefits of factoring a polynomial?

Factoring a polynomial can help us find the roots or solutions to an equation, identify patterns and relationships between different expressions, and simplify calculations in algebraic expressions.

5. Can all polynomials be factored?

No, not all polynomials can be factored. Some polynomials, such as prime polynomials, cannot be factored any further. However, most polynomials can be factored using various methods.