Learn How to Factor Quadratics: Step-by-Step Guide for Gr. 10 Math Homework

In summary, the given quadratic equation can be factored using the slide and divide method or by using the Binomial theorem. By multiplying the lead and tail coefficients and finding a factor pair that adds up to the middle coefficient, the equation can be factored into two binomials. Alternatively, the Binomial theorem can also be used to factor the equation.
winston2020

Homework Statement

Factor.
[tex]2x^{2}+5x-12[/tex]

I just took a semester off from school and I feel dumb. My recommendation to anyone reading is don't do that.
Anyways, back to gr. 10 math :cry:

Normally if I was going to factor this I would try to eliminate the coefficient of [tex]x^{2}[/tex] but it can't be divided evenly. IIRC you're supposed to take the factors of c and try to find 2 that add up to b, but that doesn't seem to be an option here either...

I just need a push in the right direction :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at the Binomial theorem. That should help you out.

Thanks
Matt

winston2020 said:

Homework Statement

Factor.
[tex]2x^{2}+5x-12[/tex]

I just took a semester off from school and I feel dumb. My recommendation to anyone reading is don't do that.
Anyways, back to gr. 10 math :cry:

Normally if I was going to factor this I would try to eliminate the coefficient of [tex]x^{2}[/tex] but it can't be divided evenly. IIRC you're supposed to take the factors of c and try to find 2 that add up to b, but that doesn't seem to be an option here either...

I just need a push in the right direction :)

This is fairly straightforward, since there aren't many possibilities for 2x2. Start with (2x + ?)(x + ?) and by trial and error, see if there is some way to factor -12 so that you get an x-term coefficient of + 5.

Start by:

2(x2+(5/2)x-6)=2[ (x+5/4)2-25/4-6 ]

njama said:
Start by:

2(x2+(5/2)x-6)=2[ (x+5/4)2-25/4-6 ]

The question asked him to factor the quadratic, not complete the square.

It is possible to factor quadratic trinomials whose lead coefficient is not 1 by multiplying the lead and tail coefficients together and finding a factor pair of that product that adds up to the middle coefficient.

Based on a set of equations by Viete:

Find u and v so that [itex]ax^2 + bx + c = ax^2 + ux + vx + c[/itex] and

[itex]uv=ac[/itex] and [itex]u+v=b.[/itex]

Once u and v are found, then factor by grouping.

--Elucidus

My Teacher taught me a method called slide and divide.

2x^2 +5x -12, you multiply the coefficient of 2x^2 times -12.

X^2 +5x-24, from there you factor normally...Once you get the factors, you divide the number of by the coefficient you used before. One little trick that you must remember is if the number turns out to be not a whole number, you bring out the denominator and put in on the x. For example (x-3/2) would become (2x-3)

gabbagabbahey said:
The question asked him to factor the quadratic, not complete the square.
Yes, but that's a perfectly valid way to find the factors (and works even if the coefficients in the factors are not rational).
[itex]2((x+ 5/4)^2- 25/4- 6)= 2((x+ 5/4)^2- 49/4)[/itex] and that is now a "difference of squares": 2(x+5/4+ 7/2)(x+5/4- 7/2)

What is factoring?

Factoring is a mathematical process in which an algebraic expression is broken down into simpler expressions by finding its factors.

Why is factoring important?

Factoring is an important skill in algebra as it allows us to solve equations, simplify expressions, and analyze the behavior of functions.

How do you factor a quadratic expression?

To factor a quadratic expression, we use the method of grouping or the quadratic formula. First, we check if the expression can be factored by finding common factors. Then, we factor the remaining expression using either method.

What are the steps for factoring a quadratic expression?

The steps for factoring a quadratic expression are:

1. Identify any common factors.
  2. If the expression is not a perfect square, use the quadratic formula or grouping method to factor the remaining expression.
  3. Check if the factors can be further simplified.

How can factoring help with solving equations?

Factoring can help with solving equations by allowing us to rewrite the equation in a simpler form, making it easier to find the solution. It can also help us identify multiple solutions to an equation.