Factoring Cosine: Get Help Solving the Problem

In summary, factoring cosine is the process of breaking down a cosine function into smaller, simpler components, making it easier to solve equations and understand the behavior of these functions. It involves identifying common factors and using trigonometric identities, as well as techniques such as completing the square or using the quadratic formula. Common mistakes include forgetting to use identities, not identifying common factors, and making errors in algebraic manipulation. Help is available through resources such as math tutors, online tutorials, and classmates.
Mechaman
The Question:
IMAG0038.jpg
My Attempt:
IMAG0041.jpg

I use the 'Double Angle Formula' to get to the second line. Then multiply the sigma-x into what's in the brackets, then factor out at the end. I'm not sure how I reach the answer that's provided with the solution. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've pretty much already got the answer. Just expand that last line and re-arrange.

Likes Anama Skout

1. What is factoring cosine?

Factoring cosine is the process of breaking down a cosine function into smaller, simpler components. This allows us to solve for the values of the function at specific points or to find the roots of the function.

2. Why is factoring cosine important?

Factoring cosine is important because it helps us to solve complex equations involving cosine more easily. It also allows us to better understand the behavior of cosine functions and make predictions about their values.

3. How do I factor cosine?

The process of factoring cosine involves identifying common factors and using trigonometric identities to simplify the function. It may also involve using techniques such as completing the square or using the quadratic formula.

4. What are some common mistakes when factoring cosine?

Some common mistakes when factoring cosine include forgetting to use trigonometric identities, not identifying common factors, and making errors in algebraic manipulation. It is important to carefully check your work and be familiar with the rules of factoring before attempting to solve a problem.

5. Can I get help solving a factoring cosine problem?

Yes, there are many resources available for getting help with factoring cosine problems. You can consult a math tutor, use online resources and tutorials, or ask a friend or classmate for assistance. It is important to seek help if you are struggling with a problem, as factoring can be a complex process and mistakes can be easily made.