1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factoring Involving Radicals

1. Feb 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question is concerning a limit question. I have no problems finding limits but i need to be able to factor this equation. I need to be able to some how get rid of the (x-1)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I ust keep ending up in a loop geting a bigger and bigger radical.
    An out of curiosity can 0 be divided by 0?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Nope. Give us the actual limit, theres an easier way.
  4. Feb 23, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, you cannot divide by 0- not even 0! You should know, from a more general formula, that [itex]y^6- 1= (y- 1)(y^5+ y^4+ y^3+ y^2+ y+ 1)[/itex]. What happens if y= x^{1/6}?
  5. Feb 23, 2007 #4
    Then all thats left is to create a new limit as y approaches something. In this case its still 1 but you would need to take the 6th root of the original limit point

For example, if you wanted to do something like the limit as x approaches 8 of:

[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{-x^2+ 4x^\frac{4}{3}+ x^\frac{7}{8}+ x^\frac{5}{6}- 4x^\frac{1}{2}- 4x^\frac{1}{6}}{x^\frac{2}{3}- 4}}[/itex]

You would have to again use y=x^(1/6), but take the new limit as y approaches 8^(1/6) or radical 2 of:
    [tex]\displaystyle{\frac{-y^12+ 4y^8+ y^7+ y^5- 4y^3- 4y}{y^4- 4}}[/tex]
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?