1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Factoring Madness

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find where these curves intersect:

x+y = 2y^2
    y = x^3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I try to write both in terms of y, I get

2y^2 - y = y^(1/3)

I try to factor

2y^2 - y - y^(1/3) = 0
    y(2y - 1 - y^(-2/3)) = 0 ??

What do I do next?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You're on the right track up to the step above, but that's not an equation that's easy to factor with that cube root.

Instead, cube both sides of the equation. The right side is easy; when cubed it becomes just y.
    The left side requires some care, because you're multiplying (2y2 - y)(2y2 - y)(2y2 - y). When you're done, the highest degree term will be 8y6. This might turn out to be a messy problem, since you'll be needing to factor a 6th degree polynomial to find the intersection point(s) - I believe there are two.

4. Feb 5, 2010 #3
    Okay so after I cubed both sides I get:

8y6 - 12y5 - 2y4 - y3 - y =0

Then I factor out a y:

y(8y5 - 12y4 - 2y3 - y2 - 1) = 0

How do I factor now..? Was there some way to check easier with ration roots theorem?

5. Feb 5, 2010 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yes the other root is rational so use the theorem to find it.

It would have saved you a lot of hassle cubing and even makes finding the other root besides y=0 much easier if you substituted [itex]y=x^3[/itex] into [itex]x+y=2y^2[/itex]. You will quickly and easily get [itex]x+x^3=2x^6[/itex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook