1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factoring out a negative

1. Feb 10, 2017 #1
    • Member warned that the homework template must be used
    i have no idea how to use the punctuation marks for writing equations..ill do my best..

(3a+4b)(a-3b) over b(3a+4b) multiplied by 1 over b^2(3b-a)(3b+a)

during the cross cancelling the 3b-a would be multiplied by a negative one to switch the problem over right? (-1)(3b-a) in order to cross cancel with the (a-3b) in the top left..
    the answer was 1 over b^3(a-3b) but i dont understand the whole negative sign thing..isnt (3b-a) the same as (-a+3b)? so factoring out the negative would make it (a-3b) and it cancels with the top left fraction but then i also have the (b) (b^2)(3b+a) on the bottom so how do they get b^3(a-3b)? i get the b^3 part ..i thought maybe the negative one i factored out in the (3b-a) would have also applied to the (3b+a) but then wouldnt it be (-3b-a) ..im so confussed on factoring out negatives..

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Sure there isn't a typo? What happened to ##(3b+a)##?
    see above
    I don't really see where the ##-1## has gone to, neither in the quoted answer nor in the confusion of your reasoning.

To write formulas, you should read
    https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

It's not that difficult but makes reading a lot easier. I think you have all you need to simplify the quotient. Just keep track of your parts. A simple trick to see, whether a step is write or wrong, is to plug in some small numbers for ##a## and ##b##, like ##\pm 1## or ##\pm 2##.

4. Feb 11, 2017 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Was it the problem?
    [tex]\frac{(3a+4b)(a-3b)}{b(3a+4b)}\frac{1}{b^2(3b-a)(3b+a)}[/tex]
    [tex]=\frac{(3a+4b)(a-3b)}{b(3a+4b)}\frac{1}{-b^2(a-3b)(3b+a)}[/tex]

You cancelled out a-3b, and you got a (-1) factor in the denominator. Dividing by -1 makes the sign of the whole fraction negative, so it is
    [tex]-\left(\frac{(3a+4b)}{b(3a+4b)}\frac{1}{b^2(3b+a)}\right)[/tex]after further simplification, you get the desired formula.

The minus sign is the same as a factor of (-1).
    Remember the rules when calculating with factors. [tex]\frac{a}{bc}=\frac{1}{b}\frac{a}{c}[/tex]
    If b = -1,
    [tex]\frac{a}{-c}=\frac{1}{-1}\frac{a}{c}[/tex]
    and you know that [tex]\frac{1}{-1}= -1[/tex]
    so [tex]\frac{a}{-c}=-\frac{a}{c}[/tex]

5. Feb 11, 2017 #4
    #3 ..writing it out not that hard? looking at that page just made my eyes cross and my brain short circuit..ugh forget it..

6. Feb 11, 2017 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you write (3a+4b)(a-3b)/( b(3a+4b))? Is that easier than writing \frac{(3a+4b)(s-3b)}{b(3a+4)}? Basically, that's all there is to it!

When you write x = \frac{a}{b} in LaTeX, you get ##x = \frac{a}{b}## after you enclose everything between two # symbols, like this: # # your stuff # # (remove spaces between the two # signs at the start and the end). Using # delimiters produces an "in-line" formula. If you want a "displayed" formula/equation, like this
    $$ x =\frac{a}{b},$$
    you should replace the # symbols by $ signs, so write $ $ your stuff $ $ (with no spaces between the two $ signs at the start and the end).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  7. Feb 12, 2017 #6
    no idea what that means...the first thing u wrote made sense, the rest way over my head..this site wont let me post pictures either otherwise id just upload a pic of the problem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted