How to Factor Polynomials with Three Terms?

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with a factoring problem involving a polynomial of three terms. They initially tried to use decomposition but it didn't work. The expert suggests taking out the common factor (a+b) first, which leads to (a+b)(x^2-x). However, this is incorrect as it would result in a constant term. The expert then asks the person to consider the roots of the polynomial inside the brackets. The person realizes that the polynomial does not have any real roots, indicating that the factorization is complete. The expert confirms this and the person expresses gratitude for the help.
Hollysmoke
I'm having trouble with this one factoring problem-

x^2(a+b)-x(a+b)+(a+b)

I thought it was 3 terms so I tried to do decomposition but it doesn't seem to work. If someone could just help me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Take out the common factor (a+b) first.

so I'm going to end up (a+b)(x^2-x)?

No. If you multiply that out, would you have any constant term?

OH! so (a+b)(x^2-x+1)

Quite right!
So, what are the roots of the polynomial hiding inside the brackets?

I'm not sure but its impossible to multiply to -1 and add to 1
1*1=1 and add to 2, 1*-1=-1 but add to 0
so I can't use quadratics...

So, you've found that your polynomial hasn't got any real roots, right?
That means your factorization is complete..

Hey hey! Thank you for your help ^_^

1. What is factoring polynomials?

Factoring polynomials is the process of breaking down a polynomial into simpler terms. This allows us to find the roots or solutions to the polynomial equation.

2. Why is factoring polynomials important?

Factoring polynomials is important because it helps us solve polynomial equations, find the roots of a polynomial, and simplify complex expressions. It is also a fundamental concept in algebra and is used in many applications in science and engineering.

3. How do I factor a polynomial?

To factor a polynomial, you can use methods such as the greatest common factor, grouping, difference of squares, or trial and error. It is important to first identify the type of polynomial and then use the appropriate method to factor it.

4. Can all polynomials be factored?

No, not all polynomials can be factored. Some polynomials, known as prime polynomials, cannot be broken down into simpler terms. However, most polynomials can be factored using the methods mentioned above.

5. What are the applications of factoring polynomials in science?

Factoring polynomials is used in many areas of science, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. In physics, it is used to solve equations for motion and force. In chemistry, it is used to calculate reaction rates and equilibrium constants. In economics, it is used in cost analysis and optimization problems.