How do we factor a quadratic equation?

In summary, factoring is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into its smaller factors and is important for simplifying complex equations. It differs from simplifying, which involves reducing an equation to its simplest form. Factoring is often used for equations with multiple terms and the FOIL method can also be used in reverse to factor a polynomial expression. There are shortcuts and tricks for factoring, such as the difference of squares and using the rational root theorem, which can make the process more efficient.
Miike012
I added an attachment and highlited my question... basically I am confused how they got there.

Attachments

• m.jpg
    m.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
It's just a bit of rearranging:

Given y = [itex]\sqrt{ax^{2} + bx + c}[/itex]

[itex]y^{2}[/itex] = a[itex]x^{2}[/itex] + bx + c.

So replace a[itex]x^{2}[/itex] + bx + c from the initial equation with [itex]y^{2}[/itex].

Replace the [itex]\sqrt{ax^{2} + bx + c}[/itex] part of the initial equation with y.

Move q from one side of the equation to the other.

Presto chango, [itex]y^{2}[/itex] + py - q = 0.

1. What is factoring and why is it important?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into its smaller factors. It is important because it allows us to simplify complex equations and solve them more easily.

2. What is the difference between factoring and simplifying?

Factoring involves breaking an equation down into smaller factors, while simplifying involves reducing an equation to its simplest form by combining like terms and removing unnecessary elements.

3. How do I know when to use factoring to solve a problem?

Factoring is often used when solving equations with multiple terms, such as quadratic equations, or when finding the greatest common factor of a set of numbers.

4. What is the FOIL method and how does it relate to factoring?

The FOIL method is a mnemonic device used to multiply two binomials. It stands for First, Outer, Inner, Last and helps to ensure that all terms are multiplied correctly. This method can also be used in reverse to factor a polynomial expression.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for factoring?

Yes, there are several shortcuts and tricks for factoring, such as the difference of squares, the sum and difference of cubes, and using the rational root theorem. It is important to practice and familiarize yourself with these methods to become more efficient and accurate in factoring problems.