Factoring Problem a^2 - b^2 + 2bc - c^2

• Thread starter A_Moose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, the conversation discussed how to factorize the polynomial a^2 - b^2 + 2bc - c^2 and eventually arrived at the solution of (a + b - c)(a - b + c). The individual seeking help initially struggled with the problem but was able to get assistance and find the correct answer. The conversation also touched on the general concept of factoring polynomials.
A_Moose
[SOLVED] Factoring problem

Homework Statement
Factorize the following: a^2 - b^2 + 2bc - c^2

The attempt at a solution
I know this should be a fairly simple problem, but my brain must be fried or something, I can't seem to come up with anything... There are no factors common to all terms, and I can't spot anything I can do to this thing... I know, it's going to turn out to be me missing something really simple, but I've been staring at this for a while now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does this help:

a^2 - b^2 + 2bc - c^2 = a^2 - (b^2 - 2bc + c^2)

?

Wow, now I feel like a moron.
Thanks for the help, lol.
So, a^2-(b-c)(b-c)... Is that as far as it'll go, or am I missing something again?

Factoring is the decomposition of a polynomial into a product of other polynomials. This means that the final form of that expression should be a product of 2 or 3 or more parenthesis.

How do you factorize x^2 - y^2 ?
See if that applies to your expression.

Grrr, I'm certainly getting in my "stupid stuff" quota for the day...

(a+(b-c))(a-(b-c))?

Correct!
It's not about smartness. It's just about practice.

Well, thanks a lot for the help. You, sir, are a life-saver.

What is a factoring problem?

A factoring problem is a mathematical equation that involves breaking down a larger expression into smaller, simpler expressions. This is done by finding common factors that can be pulled out or identifying patterns that can be used to simplify the equation.

Why is factoring important?

Factoring is important because it allows us to solve complex equations and find their roots. It is also a crucial step in simplifying expressions and solving real-world problems in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

What is the difference between factoring and expanding?

Factoring and expanding are opposite operations. While factoring involves breaking down an expression into smaller parts, expanding involves multiplying out a simplified expression into a larger, more complex one. For example, factoring (x+1)(x+2) would result in the simpler expression of x^2+3x+2, while expanding x^2+3x+2 would result in (x+1)(x+2).

What are the steps to factor a quadratic equation?

The general steps to factor a quadratic equation, such as a^2 - b^2 + 2bc - c^2, are as follows:

1. Identify the type of quadratic equation (difference of squares, perfect square trinomial, etc.)
  2. Factor out any common factors that may be present
  3. Use the appropriate factoring method to simplify the equation
  4. Check the factored equation by expanding it to ensure it is equivalent to the original equation

Can all quadratic equations be factored?

No, not all quadratic equations can be factored. Some equations, such as prime trinomials, have no factors and cannot be factored any further. In these cases, other methods such as the quadratic formula must be used to solve the equation.