Factoring Problem Homework: 30(a^2+b^2+c^2+d^2)+68ab-75ac etc.

• Thread starter paulmdrdo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, trying to solve a homework equation of the form (Aa+Bb+Cc+Gd)(Da+Eb+Fc+Hd) using only a and b makes the problem too difficult.
paulmdrdo

Homework Statement

30(a^2+b^2+c^2+d^2)+68ab-75ac-156ad-61bc-100bd+87cd

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried the form (Aa+Bb+Cc)(Da+Eb+Fc) expand this and equate to the orig expression
I ended up getting (5a+3b-5c)(6a+10b-6c) which when I expand does not give me a correct similar expression. I need help on this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
paulmdrdo said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I've tried the form (Aa^2+Bb^2+Cc^2)(Da^2+Eb^2+Fc^2) expand this and equate to the orig expression
This form can't be right. When you multiply this out you get terms to the 4th power. The expression you started with has terms only up to the 2nd power.
paulmdrdo said:
I ended up getting (5a+3b-5c)(6a+10b-6c) which when I expand does not give me a correct similar expression. I need help on this.

paulmdrdo said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I've tried the form (Aa^2+Bb^2+Cc^2)(Da^2+Eb^2+Fc^2) expand this and equate to the orig expression

This cannot possibly work: the product of two quadratic (2nd degree) expressions will be a 4th degree expression. However, you could try a product of two linear (1st degree) expressions---that would give you a 2nd degree expression, that might match the one you started with.

What I mean is the form (Aa+Bb+Cc)(Da+Eb+Fc)

Since Fc(Aa+Bb)+Cc(Da+Eb) = c(CE+BF) ...(1)

(30a^2+68ab+30b^2)-61bc-75ac+30c^2

(5a+3b)(6a+10b)-(61b+75a)c+30c^2
where CFc^2=30 and (5a+3b)=(Aa+Bb), (6a+10b)=(Da+Eb), c(CE+BF)=-(61b+75a)c

Now using (1)

Fc(5a+3b)+Cc(6a+10b)=-(61b+75a)c chosing C=-5 and F=-6

Therefore I have (5a+3b-5c)(6a+10b-6c) but the expansion of this is not (30a^2+68ab+30b^2)-61bc-75ac+30c^2

I've tried this method to somehow find relation to the original expression but I still can't see it. Please help me.

paulmdrdo said:
I've tried the form (Aa+Bb+Cc)(Da+Eb+Fc) expand this and equate to the orig expression
Is this the only candidate you tried? The coefficient of a2 is 30, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the factors have to be (5a + ...)(6a + ... ). Other pairs of numbers that multiply to 30 are 1 * 30, 2 * 15, and 3 * 10. Did you try any of these?

Mark44 said:
Is this the only candidate you tried? The coefficient of a2 is 30, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the factors have to be (5a + ...)(6a + ... ). Other pairs of numbers that multiply to 30 are 1 * 30, 2 * 15, and 3 * 10. Did you try any of these?
Is there a way to avoid trial and error? I want a bullet-proof way of solving this.

paulmdrdo said:
Is there a way to avoid trial and error? I want a bullet-proof way of solving this.
I don't think there's any way to avoid educated trial and error. By educated, I mean that I wouldn try 4 and 7.5 or any other combination in which both numbers aren't integers.

I was thinking that maybe there's a method that I can use similar to factorization of the form (Aa+Bb+Cc)(Da+Eb+Fc)

Fc(Aa+Bb)+Cc(Da+Eb) = c(CE+BF) the only trial and error here is to find factors C and F.

Since the orig expression is of the form (Aa+Bb+Cc+Gd)(Da+Eb+Fc+Hd)

paulmdrdo said:

You have AD = BE = CF = GH = 30, so you can eliminate 4 variables at once. D = 30/A etc.
You then get 6 expressions like A (30/B) + B(30/A) = 68 by equating the coefficients of ab, ac, etc.
You can find A/B from this equation.

Note that a solution remains a solution if you multiply A,B,C,G with a constant r and divide D,E,F,H by R. You can just set A=1 to get a solution.Since you already know A/B the rest is easy.
If you want integers for an answer, you might have to find a suitable r. (if you get B = 10/3 for example, just multiply A,B,C,G with 3 and divide D,E,F,H by 3.

paulmdrdo said:
I was thinking that maybe there's a method that I can use similar to factorization of the form (Aa+Bb+Cc)(Da+Eb+Fc)

Fc(Aa+Bb)+Cc(Da+Eb) = c(CE+BF) the only trial and error here is to find factors C and F.

You are making it unnecessarily complicated by considering so many variables at once. Start with just a and b, say. You have
(Aa+Bb)(Ea+Fb)=30a2+68ab+30b2.
Clearly E=30/A, F=30/B. Writing x=A/B we get a quadratic equation for x.

paulmdrdo said:
want a bullet-proof way of solving this
haruspex said:
You are making it unnecessarily complicated by considering so many variables at once. Start with just a and b, say. You have
(Aa+Bb)(Ea+Fb)=30a2+68ab+30b2.
Clearly E=30/A, F=30/B. Writing x=A/B we get a quadratic equation for x.
The OP seems to have lost interest so I will lay out the approach in detail.

Without loss of generality we may assume 1≤ A ≤ E. That means A is one of 1, 2, 3, 5. From looking at just the a and b terms, as above, we find the ratio between A and B is 3:5. So either A=3, B=5, E=10, F=6, or A=5, B=3, etc.
Applying the same analysis to a and c we find the A to C ratio is -2 to 1, so C is -6 or -10.
And so forth.

It's not necessarily the fastest method, but it is fairly deterministic, only having to keep track of two possibilities.

1. What is factoring and why is it important in mathematics?

Factoring is the process of breaking down an expression into simpler forms. It is important in mathematics because it helps us simplify complex expressions, solve equations, and find common factors among different expressions.

2. How do I factor expressions with multiple terms and variables?

To factor expressions with multiple terms and variables, we can use the distributive property to group like terms. Then, we can look for common factors among the terms and use the appropriate factoring techniques, such as factoring by grouping or using the difference of squares formula.

3. What is the difference between factoring and expanding?

Expanding is the process of simplifying expressions by multiplying out brackets, while factoring is the process of breaking down an expression into simpler forms. In other words, expanding involves going from a factored form to an expanded form, while factoring involves going from an expanded form to a factored form.

4. How can I check if my factoring is correct?

To check if your factoring is correct, you can expand your factored expression and see if it simplifies back to the original expression. You can also use the FOIL method to multiply out the factors and see if it matches the original expression.

5. What are some tips for factoring effectively?

Some tips for factoring effectively include: 1) Always look for common factors first; 2) Use the appropriate factoring techniques for different types of expressions; 3) Practice using different factoring methods to become more familiar with them; and 4) Double check your factoring by expanding or using other methods to ensure correctness.