Need Help Factoring This Equation?

• Thread starter powp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, The conversation is about solving a biquadratic equation, specifically x^2 + 5 + 6/(x^2). The participants suggest making a substitution to simplify the problem and then multiplying both sides of the equation by x^2 to eliminate it from the denominator. The result is x^2 + 11 = 0, which can be factored into (x^2 + 2)(x^2 + 3)/x^2. One participant asks for clarification and another participant confirms the answer is correct. They also discuss a way to check if the factoring was done correctly.
powp
Hello All,

Just trying to figure out how to factor the following problem.

x^2 + 5 + 6/(x^2)

Can anybody help me??

Thanks
P

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's a biquadratic.You can make the substitution

[tex] x^{2}=t [/tex]...It will be very simple then.Piut everything under a common denominator.

Daniel.

Kurt

Thanks for the reply. Could you clarify this for me or expaned upon it.

I am really confussed.

Thanks

Ok, you've got x^2 as your demonminator

After you set the (x^2 +5 +6)/(x^2) equal to zero, mulitply both sides of the equation by x^2. That will eliminate your x^2 from the bottom of the equation. You should end up with

x^2 + 11=0

Then just complete the square and factor it.

You'll get 11 when you simplify the 5+6 part of your equation.

Does that help? :smile:

It's actually

[tex] \frac{x^{4}+5x^{2}+6}{x^{2}} [/tex]

Daniel.

It wouldn't be because if you multiply the left side of the equation with x^2 over one, the x^2's would divide out and you would be left with x^2 +11.

[tex] x^{2}+5+\frac{6}{x^{2}}=\frac{x^{2}}{1}+\frac{5}{1}+\frac{6}{x^{2}}=\frac{x^{4}}{x^{2}}+\frac{5x^{2}}{x^{2}}+\frac{6}{x^{2}}=\frac{x^{4}+5x^{2}+6}{x^{2}} [/tex]

Daniel.

OK. Why are you two coming up with different answers?

Kurt

so would my factored answer be

((x^2+2)(x^2+3)) /x^2?

Sorry Daniel thought your name was Kurt

No problem.Exactly.Your answer is valid.:smile:

Daniel.

Is there anyway to check to see if this has been factored correctly?

Thanks for your help and MissKittys

I see where I went wrong. Sorry Daniel! :redface:

I thought the x^2 +5 +6 was all in the numerator not x^2 +5 + (6/x^2).

Thats why we were coming up with different answers. Your answer is correct. If you're not sure then try to FOIL it back into the quadratic it was before you factored it. :smile:

No problem! Anytime. :smile:

What is factoring?

Factoring is a mathematical process of breaking down a polynomial into smaller, simpler expressions. It involves finding the greatest common factor and rewriting the polynomial as a product of its factors.

Why is factoring important?

Factoring is important in many areas of mathematics, such as algebra, calculus, and number theory. It helps simplify complex expressions, solve equations, and find roots of polynomials. It is also used in real-life applications, such as finance and cryptography.

What are the different methods of factoring?

There are several methods of factoring, including finding the greatest common factor, grouping, difference of squares, perfect square trinomial, and general trinomial. Each method has its own rules and techniques to follow.

How do you know when to use a certain factoring method?

The method of factoring to use depends on the type of polynomial and its terms. For example, if the polynomial has two terms, the difference of squares method can be used. If the polynomial has three terms and the first and last terms are perfect squares, the perfect square trinomial method can be used.

What are the common mistakes made when factoring?

Some common mistakes made when factoring include not checking for common factors, incorrectly applying the rules of a specific method, and forgetting to include all terms in the final factored expression. It is important to double-check the factored expression to ensure it is correct.