1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factorise elements in Z[x]?

1. Apr 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How do you factorise polynomials in Z[x]? Z is not a field so you can't use the theorem 'a is a root of f <=> (x-a) divides f'

3. The attempt at a solution
    Would you map the polynomials from Z[x] to Q[x] by multiplying by 1, since all elements in Z[x] are in Q[x]. Then factorise in Q[x] usiong the theorem above. If the factors have coefficients in Z than map (multiply by 1) these back to Z[x] so you have factorised these polynomials and they exist in Z[x]. If the factors in Q[x] have coefficients not in Z then you can't map back to Z[x] hence these are not factorisable in Z[x].

Is this how you would factorise polynomials in Z[x], formally?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2007 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Look up Gauss' lemma.

4. Apr 2, 2007 #3
    How does Gauss' lemma help?

5. Apr 2, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What makes you think passing to Q[x] suddenly makes things easier? What is the factorization ox x^2-2 in Z[x]? And in Q[x]? The x-a a root thing is still as valid/not valid in Z[x] as in Q[x]. In fact that is what (one of) Gauss's Lemmas states: a poly is irreducible over Z iff it is irreducible over Q.

You factorise it 'by doing it'. I.e. trying to find a factorization. In general this is *very hard* and can't be done by any decent analytic means. It is however possible to show there are no integral roots by exhaustion.

6. Apr 2, 2007 #5
    I like to pass over to Q[x] so I can use the theorem I quoted in the OP because Q is a field. I like to justify every step I take instead of relying on intuitition.

The version you quoted isn't in here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss's_lemma_(polynomial)

7. Apr 2, 2007 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Really? Second bullet point. If a poly is irreducible over Z it is irreducible over Q. (Obviously if it is reducible over Z it is reducible over Q).

8. Apr 2, 2007 #7
    Right. But the second point only has one way from the integers to the rationals. You had iff in your previous post?! Consider f(x)=2x^2+2x+2 is irreducible in Q[x] but is reducible in Z[x] i.e f(x)=2(x^2+x+1).

Anyhow, if you follow my method, and map the polynomials to Q[x] then you can (potentially) factorise by finding zeros of it (which is allowed by the theorem). Then follow two implications,
    Let f(x) by original polynomial in Z[x]
    1. f(x) primitive in Z[x] and irreducible in Q[x] => irreducible in Z[x]
    2. f(x) is monic and reducible in Q[x] => reducible in Z[x]

It was convienent that all f(x) I was interested in factorising were monic hence also primitive so by mapping them to Q[x] I was able to tell if it was irreducible or reducible in Z[x], rigorously. If the word is appropriate here.

But would you say 'mapping' is a good word here? I am merely factoring specific polynomials given to me which were said to be in Z[x]. But I chose to test reducibility in Q[x]. Is a map really needed here? If not than what should I say or justify me taking the polynomials to Q[x] and doing the maths?

9. Apr 2, 2007 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I pointed out the 'other' direction. It is trivial: irreducible over Q implies irreducible over Z. That really is trivial.

10. Apr 2, 2007 #9
    But what about

f(x)=2x^2+2x+2 is irreducible in Q[x] but is reducible in Z[x] i.e f(x)=2(x^2+x+1) with neither 2 nor x^2+x+1 is a unit in Z[x]

So you need
    f(x) primitive in Z[x] and irreducible in Q[x] => irreducible in Z[x]
    Correct?

The definition of irreducible I use is, P is irreducible <=>
    P is non unit and if p=ab than a is a unit or b is a unit

What about my mapping question in my previous post? Is it appropriate?

11. Apr 2, 2007 #10

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, modulo trivialities like dividing by a constant, jeez are you missing the point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?