What Are Some Tips for Factorising Cubic Functions?

In summary: We goldfish have to use pens that write underwater …we can't get underwater computers …i can only access the internet with the help of my mouse... :(
Matty R
Hello again. :smile:

I'm having more trouble with my homewrork, but this one really isn't fair. We haven't done the work in class, and as far as I can tell it isn't on the syllabus, but we're still expected to do it.

Homework Statement

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4379/questions7.jpg

Homework Equations

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/122/equation7.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/9325/attempt7a.jpg http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4422/attempt7b.jpg http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7175/attempt7c.jpg

For part c, I have no idea where to go. From the googling I've done, I'm supposed to find a value of x where f(x)=0. I would have thought that the point of part b was to get a value of of x to make f(x)=0, so the trial-and-error bit would be removed.

I used some software called Mathematica to plot the graph of this function between x=-4 and 4, and the only point where it crosses the x-axis is somewhere between x=2.3 and 2.4.

I plotted between those points because later on I have to sketch the graph and plot the points when x=0 to x=3, and only those points.

I originally made a mistake where I have -250 - 16. I added 16 and got -234, then came up with this :

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5506/wrongh.jpg

This is my third day on this question, and it's driving me nuts.

Does anyone have any hints/tips or know what I'm supposed to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Matty R said:
Matty R said:
This is my third day on this question, and it's driving me nuts.

Does anyone have any hints/tips or know what I'm supposed to do?

There is an easier way to approach the problem

16=54*(x-5/16)^3

8/27=(x-5/16)^3

the cubed root of 8/27 has three possible answers: 2/3, 2(e^(-j2*pi/3)/3, 2e^(j2/3)/3

You can take if from there.

elect_eng said:
There is an easier way to approach the problem

16=54*(x-5/16)^3

8/27=(x-5/16)^3

the cubed root of 8/27 has three possible answers: 2/3, 2(e^(-j2*pi/3)/3, 2e^(j2/3)/3

You can take if from there.

Thanks for the reply. :smile:

I really appreciate it, but I haven't seen anything like that before. I don't even know how the maths of it works. I can't see us being expected to do that.

I'm going to email my teacher and see if it's meant to be +16. There have been typing errors before.

I'm going to keep a note of your reply though, just in case it does pop up on the course at some point. :smile:

Thanks again. :smile:

elect_eng said:
Matty R said:
Thanks for the reply. :smile:

I really appreciate it, but I haven't seen anything like that before. I don't even know how the maths of it works. I can't see us being expected to do that.

Hi Matty R! :wink:

I take it you're confused by the "three possible answers"?

If you haven't done complex numbers, then just ignore that …

follow elect_eng's :smile: hint, and get to 8/27=(x-5/16)3

then x - 5/16 must be the cube root of 8/27, which is … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Matty R! :wink:

I take it you're confused by the "three possible answers"?

If you haven't done complex numbers, then just ignore that …

follow elect_eng's :smile: hint, and get to 8/27=(x-5/16)3

then x - 5/16 must be the cube root of 8/27, which is … ? :smile:

Hello again Tim. :smile: I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. There's been a family emergency. :frown:

I've got the cube root of 8/27 as 2/3, so does that mean x=47/48?

I don't understand how to get (x-5/16), and according to my graph, the line doesn't cross the x-axis at 47/48.

I'm so confused.

Complex Numbers is on the syllabus, but we haven't done it yet.

I haven't had a reply from my teacher either.

Matty R said:
Hello again Tim. :smile: I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. There's been a family emergency. :frown:

I've got the cube root of 8/27 as 2/3, so does that mean x=47/48?

I don't understand how to get (x-5/16), and according to my graph, the line doesn't cross the x-axis at 47/48.

Hello again Matty R! :smile:

on loooking at the original equation, I think elect_eng copied wrong, and meant 5/3, not 5/16 (which you should have spotted :rolleyes: … you should check everything you use here) …

does that put it right? :wink:
I'm so confused.

Complex Numbers is on the syllabus, but we haven't done it yet.

I haven't had a reply from my teacher either.
Forget complex numbers. :rolleyes:

tiny-tim said:
I think elect_eng copied wrong, and meant 5/3, not 5/16

Yes, I'm very sorry about that. I'd like to say it was just a "slip of the pen", but since we don't use pens anymore, I've got no excuse. :smile:

elect_eng said:
Yes, I'm very sorry about that. I'd like to say it was just a "slip of the pen", but since we don't use pens anymore, I've got no excuse. :smile:

we goldfish have to use pens that write underwater …

we can't get underwater computers …

i can only access the internet with the help of of my mouse :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hello again Matty R! :smile:

on loooking at the original equation, I think elect_eng copied wrong, and meant 5/3, not 5/16 (which you should have spotted :rolleyes: … you should check everything you use here) …

does that put it right? :wink:

That looks great, and fits with my graph. x=7/3. So I only have one value for x because the line crosses the x-axis only once. I'm getting there. It's slow, but I'm getting there. :blushing:

elect and tim, thank you so much. I was stuck on that question for over a week, and the answer you've helped me work out has also cleared up the next question. :smile:

elect_eng said:

tiny-tim said:
we goldfish have to use pens that write underwater …

we can't get underwater computers …

i can only access the internet with the help of of my mouse :wink:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What is factorising cubic functions?

Factorising cubic functions is the process of breaking down a cubic polynomial equation into its simpler factors. This helps in solving the equation and finding its roots.

Why is factorising cubic functions important?

Factorising cubic functions is important because it helps in solving polynomial equations and finding the roots, which are necessary for analyzing and understanding the behavior of the function.

What are the steps involved in factorising cubic functions?

The steps involved in factorising cubic functions include identifying the common factors, using the factor theorem to find one factor, and then using long division or synthetic division to find the remaining factors.

Can all cubic functions be factorised?

Yes, all cubic functions can be factorised. However, some functions may have complex or irrational factors.

What is the difference between factorising a cubic function and solving a cubic equation?

Factorising a cubic function involves breaking it down into simpler factors, while solving a cubic equation involves finding the values of the variable that satisfy the equation. Factorising can help in solving the equation, but it is not the only method of solving a cubic equation.