1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factorising Polynomial

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

As part of a control engineering problem, I need to factorise this polynomial.

s^3 + 16s^2 + 85s + 250

(EDIT: the images failed so had to write it in this form)

2. Relevant equations
    I know that the roots are -10, -3+4j and -3-3j.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not quite sure where to begin with this. Should i guess a factor and attempt long division to see if it is one? or what should i do?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You KNOW the roots. Surely you know that if a, b, and c are roots of a cubic (with leading coefficient 1) then it factors as (x- a)(x- b)(x- c).

However, the zeros of your polynomial are NOT -3+4j, -3-3j because complex zeros of a polynomial equation with real coefficents must be conjugates. -3+4j is a solution so the other must be 3- 4j, not -3-3j. That tells you immediately that the factors are (x-(-10))(x-(3+4j))((x-(3-4j)). If you want only real factors then multiply oujt the last two: (x-(3+4j))(x-(3-4j))= ((x-3)- 4j)((x-3)+4j)= (x-3)2+ 16= x2- 6x+9+ 16= x2- 6x+ 25.

x3+ 16x2+ 85x+ 250 factors as (x+ 10)(x2- 6x+ 25) over the real numbers and as (x+ 10)(x-3-4j)(x-3+4j) over the complex numbers.
  4. Oct 20, 2008 #3
    Yea sorry that was a typo for the first roots. shortly after writing this i realised the roots would be part of the factors and worked it out. thanks very much!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?