Factorising Problem Solutions: 32x^3(2x^2+1)+8x(2x^2+1)^2

• Thread starter rudders93
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to factorise (32x^3(2x^2 + 1) + 8x(2x^2 + 1)^2). The solution involves taking out 8x(2x^2 + 1) as the common factor, leaving 4x^2(2x^2 + 1) + (2x^2 + 1)^2. From there, the remaining terms can be factored into 8 x (2 x^2+1) (6 x^2+1).
rudders93

Homework Statement

It's a calculus problem. But I can get all that, it's just this final bit of factorising the answer that has me stumped. The answer I get is correct (as my calculator factorises it into the same answer as the book has), but I've been looking at it and I can't seem to figure out how to factorise it. So I was wondering if someone could please show the steps / techniques used to factorise this problem:

Homework Equations

Factorise [itex](32x^3(2x^2 + 1) + 8x(2x^2 + 1)^2)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried taking out 8x as the common factor to get to: [itex]8x(4x^2(2x^2 + 1) + (2x^2 + 1)^2))[/itex] but I still can't see any way to further simplify it.

The answer by the way (according to my calculator / book) is: [itex]8 x (2 x^2+1) (6 x^2+1)[/itex]

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can take out 8x(2x2 + 1) from each term. What do you have left?

Ah. Gotcha. Thanks!

8 x (2 x^2+1) (6 x^2+1)

1. What is factorising?

Factorising is a mathematical process of breaking down a polynomial or expression into its simpler components, typically in the form of a product of factors.

2. What is the purpose of factorising?

The purpose of factorising is to simplify complex expressions and make them easier to work with, solve, or manipulate in other mathematical operations. It also helps in identifying common factors and patterns in expressions.

3. How do you factorise an expression?

To factorise an expression, you need to identify common factors and use the distributive property to break it down into smaller expressions. Then, continue factoring until the expression is in its simplest form.

4. What are the steps to factorise the expression 32x^3(2x^2+1)+8x(2x^2+1)^2?

Step 1: Identify common factors in each term, in this case, 8x is a common factor.Step 2: Use the distributive property to factor out 8x from both terms, leaving us with 8x(4x^2(2x^2+1)+(2x^2+1)^2).Step 3: Identify common factors in the parentheses, in this case, (2x^2+1) is a common factor.Step 4: Factor out (2x^2+1) from both terms, leaving us with 8x(2x^2+1)(4x^2+(2x^2+1)).Step 5: Simplify the expression by combining like terms, if applicable. The final factored form is 8x(2x^2+1)^2(6x^2+1).

5. Can factorising help in solving equations?

Yes, factorising can help in solving equations by simplifying complex expressions into smaller and more manageable ones. This makes it easier to manipulate the equations and solve for the unknown variable.