Rational Root Theorem for Factoring Polynomials

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of factoring polynomials past 2nd degree and the importance of understanding the "in between" steps. It also mentions the rational root theorem and how it can be used to find rational roots of a polynomial. The conversation ends with one participant acknowledging the other's expertise in factoring and expressing their own learning journey.
Darkbalmunk
Hi I was wondering since i have problems factoring any polynomial past 2nd degree i was wondering if anyone can show a way i can remember for finals ^_^.

IE. let's say we have a 3rd degree polynomial.
X^3 - 3X^2 +4
i tried looking it up but most don't show how they did the work so i can understand the in between or like sparknotes that polynomial doesn't fit their formula so I am kinda stumped for the upcoming test where we do this, especially when its used in det of matrices.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Factoring degree 3 integer polynomials over the integers is easy -- if it factors, it must have a rational root.

Factoring degree 3 integer polynomials over the integers is easy -- if it polynomial divides (synthetic or long), it must be factorable.:wink:

:bugeye:

that polynomial doesn't factor that i can see

Did you try x+ 1 as a factor? (-1)^3- 3(-1)^2+ 4= 0 doesn't it?

Or x-2 as a factor?

23 - 3(2)2 + 4 = 8 - 12 + 4 = 0.

Hurkyl said:
Factoring degree 3 integer polynomials over the integers is easy -- if it factors, it must have a rational root.
A polynomial has "x- a" as a factor if and only x= a makes the polynomial equal to 0 and the "rational root theorem" says that if m/n is a rational root of the equation
[tex]a_nx^n+ a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_1x+ a_0= 0[/tex]
with integer coefficients, then n must divide [itex]a_n[/itex] and m must divide [itex]a_0[/itex].
With your example cubic, the equation is [itex]x^3- 3x^2+ 4= 0[/itex], [itex]a_3= 1[/itex] and [itex]a_0= 4[/itex] so n must be +/- 1 and m must be one of +/- 1, +/- 2, +/- 4. The only possible rational roots are +/- 1, +/- 2, +/- 4 and it is not hard to try those and see that -1 is a root and that 2 is a double root:
[tex]x^3- 3x^2- 4= (x+ 1)(x- 2)(x- 2)[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
A polynomial has "x- a" as a factor if and only x= a makes the polynomial equal to 0 and the "rational root theorem" says that if m/n is a rational root of the equation
[tex]a_nx^n+ a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_1x+ a_0= 0[/tex]
with integer coefficients, then n must divide [itex]a_n[/itex] and m must divide [itex]a_0[/itex].
With your example cubic, the equation is [itex]x^3- 3x^2+ 4= 0[/itex], [itex]a_3= 1[/itex] and [itex]a_0= 4[/itex] so n must be +/- 1 and m must be one of +/- 1, +/- 2, +/- 4. The only possible rational roots are +/- 1, +/- 2, +/- 4 and it is not hard to try those and see that -1 is a root and that 2 is a double root:
[tex]x^3- 3x^2- 4= (x+ 1)(x- 2)(x- 2)[/tex]

i see your ability to factor is past my ability lol, well I am still learning, so its alright, nice post.

What is the definition of factorization of polynomials?

Factorization of polynomials is the process of breaking down a polynomial into its smaller, simpler components. It is similar to factoring numbers, but instead of breaking down numbers, we are breaking down algebraic expressions.

What is the purpose of factorization of polynomials?

The purpose of factorization of polynomials is to simplify complex expressions and make them easier to work with. It also helps us find the roots of a polynomial, which are the values of the variable that make the polynomial equal to zero.

How do you factorize a polynomial?

To factorize a polynomial, we need to look for common factors among the terms. Then, we use the distributive property to factor out the common factor, leaving us with a simpler expression. We repeat this process until we can no longer factorize the expression.

What are the different methods for factorization of polynomials?

There are several methods for factorization of polynomials, including grouping, difference of squares, perfect square trinomials, and sum and difference of cubes. Each method is useful for different types of polynomials and can make the process of factorization more efficient.

Why is factorization of polynomials important in mathematics and science?

Factorization of polynomials is important in mathematics and science because it helps us solve equations, graph functions, and understand the behavior of complex systems. It also has applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering.