Are These Polynomials Irreducible Over Q?

In summary: Neither set of roots has a common element so the polynomial is irreducible (since a cubic or quartic with no rational roots is irreducible).In summary, i) is irreducible over Q by Eisenstein's criterion, ii) and iii) are reducible as they have rational roots, and iv) is irreducible since it has no rational roots.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

determine whether the following polynomials are irreducible over Q,

i)f(x) = [itex]x^5+25x^4+15x^2+20 [/itex]
ii)f(x) = [itex]x^3+2x^2+3x+5 [/itex]
iii)f(x) = [itex]x^3+4x^2+3x+2 [/itex]
iv)f(x) = [itex]x^4+x^3+x^2+x+1 [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By eisensteins criterion let f(x) = [itex]a_n x^n+a_{n-1} x^{n-1}+...a_0[/itex]
if there exists p, a prime such that p does not divide [itex]a_n[/itex] , p divides [itex]a_{n-1}[/itex],...,p divides [itex]a_0[/itex] and [itex]p^2[/itex] does not divide [itex]a_0[/itex] then f(x) is irreducible over Q

So i) if p=5 => it is irreducible over Q

but not sure how to go about the others...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think ii) and iii) are both reducible but iv) is irreducible as4-1 =3, a prime

Since ii and iii are cubics, if they were reducible, they would have to have at least one linear factor, so at least one rational root. By the "rational root theorem", any rational root to ii would have to be [itex]\pm 1[/itex] or [itex]\pm 5[/itex]. Check whether any of those is a root. Similarly, any rational root to iii would have to be [itex]\pm 1[/itex] or [itex]\pm 2[/itex].

(Clearly neither ii nor iii has a positive root so you really only have two values to check in each problem.)

For (iv), the roots are easy to compute since

[tex](x^5-1)=(x-1)(x^4+x^3+x^2+x+1)[/tex]

1. What is the definition of factorization of polynomials?

Factorization of polynomials is the process of breaking down a polynomial into smaller, simpler polynomials that can be multiplied together to obtain the original polynomial. This is similar to factoring numbers, where we break down a number into its prime factors.

2. Why is factorization of polynomials important?

Factorization of polynomials is important because it allows us to solve polynomial equations and simplify expressions. It also helps us identify the roots or zeros of a polynomial, which are important for graphing and understanding the behavior of the polynomial.

3. What are the common methods for factorizing polynomials?

The most common methods for factorizing polynomials are the greatest common factor (GCF) method, the difference of squares method, and the grouping method. These methods involve identifying common factors and patterns within the polynomial to break it down into smaller factors.

4. Can all polynomials be factorized?

Not all polynomials can be factorized. Some polynomials, called prime polynomials, cannot be broken down into smaller factors. However, most polynomials can be factorized using the methods mentioned above.

5. How do I check if my factorization is correct?

To check if your factorization is correct, you can use the distributive property to multiply the factors together and see if you obtain the original polynomial. You can also use a calculator to evaluate the polynomial for different values of the variable and compare the results to the original polynomial.