Factorize x^2 - z*y^2 with Gcd(x,y)=1, Gcd(x,z)=1, Gcd(y,z)=1, and z squarefree

In summary: I found a factorization for x^2-zy^2 over the reals!In summary, Morphism's question about finding primes of the form x^2-zy^2 over the integers was answered. The expression can be factorized over the reals, but not the integers. The method to find these prime numbers is by finding a factorization for x^2-zy^2 over the reals. Once the factorization is found, the prime numbers are found to be x^2-zy^2.
Gaussianheart
Let x,y,z > 0 (x,y,z naturals numbers)
Gcd(x,y)=1
Gcd(x,z)=1
Gcd(y,z)=1

z squarefree

Factorize

x^2 - z*y^2

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gaussianheart said:
Let x,y,z > 0
Gcd(x,y)=1
Gcd(x,z)=1
Gcd(y,z)=1

z squarefree

Factorize

x^2 - z*y^2

Thank you.

Factorize...over what ring or field? What kind of beings are x,y,z, anyway?

DonAntonio

You are right. Sorry I made mistake not precising x,y,z (positive integers)

Gaussianheart said:
You are right. Sorry I made mistake not precising x,y,z (positive integers)

The expresion can't be factorized over the integers, or over the rationals, of course. Over the reals though

we have that [itex] x^2-zy^2=(x-y\sqrt{z})(x+y\sqrt{z})[/itex] .

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
The expresion can't be factorized over the integers, or over the rationals, of course. Over the reals though

we have that [itex] x^2-zy^2=(x-y\sqrt{z})(x+y\sqrt{z})[/itex] .

DonAntonio

Thank you.

So there is no algorithm or some method to factorize over the integers the equation above?
I just want to be sure because I have found a way to do it.
Not finished yet to be published.

Gaussianheart said:
So there is no algorithm or some method to factorize over the integers the equation above?
I just want to be sure because I have found a way to do it.
Not finished yet to be published.

As I told you, there is not such factorization over the integers, but you now say you have a method to do it, so either you are wrong or I am, and the easiest and fastest way to find out is for you to write down your method.

DonAntonio

If I understood you seems to say that we can not find :

u*v=x^2-zy^2

with u and v integers
and assuming that some known number A is equal to x^2-zy^2

It that right?

Gaussianheart said:
If I understood you seems to say that we can not find :

u*v=x^2-zy^2

with u and v integers
and assuming that some known number A is equal to x^2-zy^2

It that right?

No. I assumed you meant [itex]x^2-zy^2[/itex] is an integer polynomial in two (or even three) variables, and then I said it can't be reduced.

Of course that if you mean number it can, or not, be reduced, according as if it is a prime or composite number.

For example, with [itex] x = 3, y = z = 2\,,\,\, x^2-zy^2=9-2\cdot 4=1[/itex] , which is irreducible, but we get with

[itex]x=6, y=z=1\,,\,\,x^2-zy^2=36-1=35=5\cdot 7[/itex] , which is reducible...

DonAntonio

Gaussianheart said:
Let x,y,z > 0 (x,y,z naturals numbers)
Gcd(x,y)=1
Gcd(x,z)=1
Gcd(y,z)=1

z squarefree

Factorize

x^2 - z*y^2

Thank you.
1*(x^2 - z*y^2). Other than that there is no algorithm to factor the expression. Of course many composite are of this form, such as 2*n where x,y and z are each odd. What method do you have in mind?

ramsey2879 said:
1*(x^2 - z*y^2). Other than that there is no algorithm to factor the expression. Of course many composite are of this form, such as 2*n where x,y and z are each odd. What method do you have in mind?

Many composite could be expressed in many ways as x^2 - z*y^2.
That is why there always a way to factor those numbers.
My problem now is how to choose (x,z,y) such as the factorization will be easy to do.
I did not finished yet.
I'm testing testing testing.
But the core of my method is right and provable.
Implemeting the method is not easy.
I will post it as soon as I finsh the tests.

Let's fix an integer z. Does your method give an answer to the question: what primes are of the form x^2-zy^2?

morphism said:
Let's fix an integer z. Does your method give an answer to the question: what primes are of the form x^2-zy^2?

For any fixed z squarefree >1 you will always have primes of the form x^2-zy^2.
My goal is to find a way to factorize odd semi-prime (n) starting writing it as equal to some (x,y,z) in relation x^2-zy^2.
There are an infinite number of writing it like above by using the Brahmagupta identity.

Gaussianheart said:
For any fixed z squarefree >1 you will always have primes of the form x^2-zy^2.
My goal is to find a way to factorize odd semi-prime (n) starting writing it as equal to some (x,y,z) in relation x^2-zy^2.
There are an infinite number of writing it like above by using the Brahmagupta identity.

You didn't answer morphism's question.

DonAntonio

Last edited:
morphism said:

The answer is : no

DonAntonio said:
You didn't answer morphism's question.

DonAntonio

I did it now.

1. What is factorization?

Factorization is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into its constituent factors. It is a fundamental concept in algebra and is used to simplify equations and solve problems.

2. How do you factorize an expression?

To factorize an expression, you need to identify common factors and use algebraic techniques such as grouping, difference of squares, or perfect squares to break down the expression into simpler factors. For example, in the expression x^2 - z*y^2, you can factor out the common factor y^2 to get y^2*(x^2 - z).

3. What are the factors of x^2 - z*y^2?

The factors of x^2 - z*y^2 are y^2 and (x + √z*y)(x - √z*y). This can also be written as y^2*(x + √z*y)(x - √z*y).

4. Why is factorization important in mathematics?

Factorization is important in mathematics because it allows us to simplify complex expressions, solve equations, and find the roots of polynomial equations. It is also used in number theory to study the properties of integers and in cryptography to secure data.

5. How is factorization used in real-life applications?

Factorization has many real-life applications, such as in cryptography to create secure codes, in signal processing to compress data, and in finance to calculate interest rates and risk analysis. It is also used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving equations with multiple variables.