Factorizing Polynomials with Irrational Exponents

• Thread starter cdummie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of factorizing a polynomial with known exponents and a cosine term, with the added complication of an irrational number, a. It is suggested to make a substitution of variables to simplify the equation and the value of the cosine is treated as a constant. However, factorization in ℝ is only possible if naπ = 2kπ, where k is an integer. It is also noted that the value of n is not defined, so the factorization may vary depending on its value.
cdummie
I should factorize following polynomial:

P(x)=x^2n + 2cos(naπ)x^n + 1 in ℝ if i know that a is irrational number.

Things that confuse me here are following:

1. When factorizing polynomials, i have known exponents (unlike here, where i have 2n and n) so i don't know what to do with them?

2. Why does it makes a difference if a is irrational number?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you considered a substitution of variable x to make the equation a simple quadratic?

jedishrfu said:
Have you considered a substitution of variable x to make the equation a simple quadratic?

You mean like: y=xn, but what can i do next, that cosine there is confusing, and fact that a is irrational makes it even more complicated.

cdummie said:
You mean like: y=xn, but what can i do next, that cosine there is confusing, and fact that a is irrational makes it even more complicated.
The value of the cosine in your polynomial doesn't depend on x, so it may be treated like a constant. Call it A and re-write your original polynomial:

A = cos(naπ)

P(x) = x2n + 2Axn + 1

Now, make the substitution y = xn

SteamKing said:
The value of the cosine in your polynomial doesn't depend on x, so it may be treated like a constant. Call it A and re-write your original polynomial:

A = cos(naπ)

P(x) = x2n + 2Axn + 1

Now, make the substitution y = xn
Ok, so now i have the following:

y2 + 2Ay + 1

y1,2=[-2A+-sqrt(4A2 - 4)]/2 = -A +- sqrt(A2 - 1)

since A=cos(naπ) then A2=cos2(naπ) and A2 - 1 = cos2(naπ) - 1 =-sin2(naπ)

but -sin2(naπ) could be anywhere between -1 and 1 so i don't know is it positive or negative, because if it is negative then i can't factorize it in ℝ.

cdummie said:
Ok, so now i have the following:

y2 + 2Ay + 1

y1,2=[-2A+-sqrt(4A2 - 4)]/2 = -A +- sqrt(A2 - 1)

since A=cos(naπ) then A2=cos2(naπ) and A2 - 1 = cos2(naπ) - 1 =-sin2(naπ)

but -sin2(naπ) could be anywhere between -1 and 1 so i don't know is it positive or negative, because if it is negative then i can't factorize it in ℝ.
Obviously, in order to factor this polynomial in ℝ, certain conditions must be met; IOW, A2 - 1 ≥ 0, or A2 ≥ 1 or cos2(naπ) ≥ 1.

Since -1 ≤ cos (θ) ≤ 1, then the polynomial can be factored in ℝ only if naπ = 2kπ, where k = 0, 1, 2, ...

It's not clear why you would want to factor such a beast anyway. If you want to find the roots to P(x), it would seem that a numerical approach would work just as well.

Likes cdummie
SteamKing said:
Obviously, in order to factor this polynomial in ℝ, certain conditions must be met; IOW, A2 - 1 ≥ 0, or A2 ≥ 1 or cos2(naπ) ≥ 1.

Since -1 ≤ cos (θ) ≤ 1, then the polynomial can be factored in ℝ only if naπ = 2kπ, where k = 0, 1, 2, ...

It's not clear why you would want to factor such a beast anyway. If you want to find the roots to P(x), it would seem that a numerical approach would work just as well.

Well, it's just an exam question, anyway, what's with a, i mean why is it pointed out that a has to be irrational number, the way we solved this, it wouldn't be any different even if a wasn't irrational number?

cdummie said:
Well, it's just an exam question, anyway, what's with a, i mean why is it pointed out that a has to be irrational number, the way we solved this, it wouldn't be any different even if a wasn't irrational number?
It's not clear what n is here. Is n any integer, or is it something else?

Since a is irrational, this suggests that the condition naπ = 2kπ can be satisfied only if na = 0, and this will depend on what values n can take.

SteamKing said:
It's not clear what n is here. Is n any integer, or is it something else?

Since a is irrational, this suggests that the condition naπ = 2kπ can be satisfied only if na = 0, and this will depend on what values n can take.
I don't know about n, it's not defined what n is, but it might be integer (probably it is), anyway, since it is not defined i can't be sure what it is.

1. What are irrational exponents?

Irrational exponents are exponents that cannot be expressed as a fraction, meaning they have a non-repeating decimal representation. Examples of irrational exponents include √2, √3, and π.

2. Why do we need to factorize polynomials with irrational exponents?

Factorizing polynomials with irrational exponents can help simplify the expression and make it easier to solve. It also allows us to find the roots of the polynomial, which can be useful in real-life applications.

3. How do we factorize polynomials with irrational exponents?

To factorize polynomials with irrational exponents, we need to first look for common factors and then use techniques such as grouping, difference of squares, and sum/difference of cubes. We may also need to use the quadratic formula or other methods to solve for the roots.

4. Can we factorize polynomials with irrational exponents using the distributive property?

Yes, we can use the distributive property to factorize polynomials with irrational exponents. However, we may need to use other techniques as well, depending on the complexity of the polynomial.

5. What are some real-life applications of factorizing polynomials with irrational exponents?

Factorizing polynomials with irrational exponents can be useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can help us model and solve real-world problems involving growth, decay, and change over time.