1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factorizing Fractions

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I dont understand why cross multiplying (a+1) with a(a+1) = (a+1)^2.

Similary on the RHS, I dont understand why cross multiplying (a-1) with a(a-1) = (a-1)^2.

2. Relevant equations

Factorizing to next step:

[tex]\frac{a + 1}{a(a - 1)}[/tex] _ [tex] \frac{a-1}{a(a + 1)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{(a + 1)^2}{a(a - 1)(a + 1)}[/tex] _ [tex] \frac{(a - 1)^2}{a(a - 1)(a + 1)}[/tex]
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2
    Property of exponents. If you have the same base/variable, and you're multiplying them, write it as one base/variable and just add their powers.

[tex]x\cdot x=x^1\cdot x^1=x^{1+1}=x^2[/tex]

Also, your denominator contains a difference of squares: [tex](a+1)(a-1)=a^2-1^2=a^2-1[/tex]
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  4. Feb 27, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You aren't 'cross multiplying', whatever that means. You are just putting things over a common denominator. Multiply the first term by (a+1)/(a+1)=1 and the second by (a-1)/(a-1)=1.
  5. Feb 27, 2008 #4
    yes i understand that, however my question is what happened to the extra "a".

so your telling me that

a(a+1)(a+1) = (a+1)^2?

which i know is not true
  6. Feb 27, 2008 #5
    It doesn't disappear.

Also, you don't need to multiply the other term by a. They both have a common term a. The first is missing a+1, and 2nd is missing a-1. That's all.
  7. Feb 27, 2008 #6
    yes it does, please look at the solution above (its from my uni's course notes).

I have deleted "The attempt at a solution" which was just my attempt to remove confusion
  8. Feb 27, 2008 #7
    Yeah it's right, it's done.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?