Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factorizing rotation operator into finite products

1. Feb 21, 2014 #1
    I know that any unitary operator on the spin-1/2 Hilbert space can be identified as a fixed-axis rotation operator up to a global phase, i.e.,
    $$U=e^{i\alpha}R_{\hat{n}}(\theta)=e^{i\alpha}e^{-i\theta\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{\sigma}/2\hbar}$$

And it's also a known result that any fixed-axis rotation operator can be factorized into 3 Euler rotations z-y-z
    $$R_{\hat{n}}(\theta)=R_{\hat{z}}(\cdot)R_{\hat{y}}(\cdot)R_{\hat{z}}(\\cdot)$$

Now there is a more general claim that as long as [itex]\mathbf{\hat{u}}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{\hat{v}}[/itex] are not parallel, arbitrary [itex]R_{\hat{n}}[/itex] can be factorized into a finite series of alternate rotations around [itex]\mathbf{\hat{u}}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{\hat{v}}[/itex]
    i.e.,
    $$
    R_{\hat{n}}(\theta)=R_{\hat{u}}(\beta_1)R_{\hat{v}}(\gamma_1)\cdots R_{\hat{u}}(\beta_k)R_{\hat{v}}(\gamma_k)
    $$
    for some fixed k (which only depends on [itex]\mathbf{\hat{u}}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{\hat{v}}[/itex]) and [itex]\beta_i[/itex] and [itex]\gamma_i[/itex]

I attempted to prove this general claim but to no avail. Apparently this is a pretty important claim that's was used in Nielsen and Chuang's Quantum Computation and Quantum Information (in section 4.5 where they try to prove that H, S, pi/8 and CNOT can approximate any single-qubit gate to arbitrary accuracy). I've also searched online for this result, but didn't find any reference to it. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted