Factors of polynomial with fractional powers

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with factorizing the polynomial a^{3/2}+x^{3/2}. They come to the conclusion that there are no factors, but after some discussion, they realize that (√x + √a) is a factor. They also discuss using polynomial division with fractional powers and suggest setting x = y^2 and b = a^2 to find the polynomial remainder. One person mentions needing to exercise their mathematical skills again.
hustler
Hi,
I've got this particular polynomial [tex]a^{3/2}+x^{3/2}[/tex] and I need to factorize it as far as possible.
I've come to the conclusion that there are no factors.
Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(x + a) isn't a factor, but (√x + √a) is.

Ok, that seems straightforward, but how do I go about doing polynomial division using fractional powers to find the polynomial remainder?
Actually, nevermind. I just figured it out. Thanks for the help.

Set [itex]x = y^2[/itex] and [itex]b = a^2[/itex] then see if anything comes to mind! :)

Yeah, that's what I figured out.
Haven't done any mathematics for a long time. Need to get the gray cells into action.

1. What are fractional powers in a polynomial?

Fractional powers in a polynomial are exponents that are not whole numbers. They can be expressed as fractions, decimals, or even negative numbers.

2. How do you simplify a polynomial with fractional powers?

To simplify a polynomial with fractional powers, you can use the rules of exponents. For example, if you have a term with an exponent of 1/2, you can rewrite it as the square root of the base. You can also use the power rule to combine like terms and reduce the expression.

3. Can fractional powers be negative in a polynomial?

Yes, fractional powers can be negative in a polynomial. This means that the exponent is a negative fraction, such as -1/2, which would indicate the reciprocal of the square root of the base.

4. How do you solve a polynomial equation with fractional powers?

To solve a polynomial equation with fractional powers, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring and the quadratic formula. You can also use graphing or numerical methods to approximate the solutions.

5. What are the limitations of using fractional powers in polynomials?

One limitation of using fractional powers in polynomials is that they can result in complex or imaginary solutions. Additionally, it may be more difficult to graph or visualize polynomials with fractional powers compared to those with whole number exponents.