Facts and latest research about stress when it comes to jobs/work

In summary, stress can have deleterious effects on the body, both physically and psychologically. It's important to be aware of the potential effects of stress on both your short-term and long-term health, and to find a job that will not negatively impact either.
timeuser84
Hi again, I want to know, what are the effects that stress has on the human body when it comes to work or a job? The reason I am asking this is because I plan to have a job in the future that gives me good stress and to avoid working at a job that gives me bad stress. I base this on some website article I read on the net long ago that there is bad stress and good stress. The bad stress for example could be a job you don't like doing that makes you go crazy, makes you want to pull your hairs out, makes you sad or miserable and makes you age faster. A job that gives you Good stress does the opposite, doesn't cause you to age faster and the good stress makes you better at your job overall as well as allowing you to take on more stress from the job in general. According to another source, I was told there is no such thing as bad stress and too much stress is bad.

Biology news on Phys.org
You want a job with good stress not bad stress?
Good luck with that!
I would go for a job where you think you will be good at it and it really interests you.
However, even a job that you enjoy can stress you out and can have actual physiological effects such as weakened immune system, impaired memory and higher blood pressure.
Plus being over tired from not sleeping properly (work on your mind, deadlines, brick walls, bullying) and being sad/unhappy for long periods of time is not good for anyone physically or psychologically
I did find something on Distress and Eustress but I am not posting the link because I have never heard of this until today.
Overview below.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_(biology)#Health_risk_factors
At work some stats
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupational_stress#/media/File:Work_related_stress_infographic.png

Last edited:
Likes ChemAir and jim mcnamara
timeuser84 said:
Hi again, I want to know, what are the effects that stress has on the human body when it comes to work or a job? The reason I am asking this is because I plan to have a job in the future that gives me good stress and to avoid working at a job that gives me bad stress. I base this on some website article I read on the net long ago that there is bad stress and good stress. The bad stress for example could be a job you don't like doing that makes you go crazy, makes you want to pull your hairs out, makes you sad or miserable and makes you age faster. A job that gives you Good stress does the opposite, doesn't cause you to age faster and the good stress makes you better at your job overall as well as allowing you to take on more stress from the job in general. According to another source, I was told there is no such thing as bad stress and too much stress is bad.
Wikiepedia will not help. It is there because of their committee who want to parse it with social media influenzas[sic]---Stress. My mother thrived on it. She was high energy probably had ADD because I've got ADHD and the buzz helps coping with stress.

I drove buses in inner city Sydney. Stress constantly. I lasted 17 years then stopped. The stress got to me. Others handled it. Meditation helps but I will not say it is the solution. You see what is stress to one person is not to another!

I worked as a customer accounts operator at the national phone company and this call centre environment didn't bother me but one day a worker simply started crying.

Stress is not negative. I've read real [not wikie] articles where a certain amount is good for you. This by a medical expert I cannot recall or find sadly. Stress invigorates. it is the body's go-active response. Today everything is -wellness- obsessed. Good intentions-bad approach-dodgy generalized theory- but how you react after is important as well.

I used to [used to no more now] smoke cigarettes. Called it stress management. The doctor didn't object. Not all are PC obsessed. Drinking is the favorite way to unwind. In Europe this is the norm. Reading a book is good. TV not so good. Rather it is a bad sedative. If you like your job -never guaranteed depending who you end up working with- stress may not even be noticed. However don't fall into the 'be positive' trap. It will come up short because of false expectations. Adjust adapt assimilate as you can depending on conditions at whatever work you do. Never cringe to the boss or any authority. Good luck. I wish you well. [retired non-practicing sociologist].

Last edited by a moderator:
Wiki gets its information from journals/publications as well as individuals contributors (see below)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1361287/
It’s not perfect by any means but on the whole it’s a decent science resource, if you think it is terminally flawed offer to be an editor/contributor.

Likes BillTre
Stress has become a pop psychology subject, which basically means the science is all over the place, people seem to be inventing their own definitions and conflating it with anxiety. Work on job related stress is even more problematic, its virtually impossible to study our reactions to stress simply based on events in particular settings, if your stressed in any area of life it will effect other areas.
The effects on health are no better really we can't pin down cause and effect, Seyle, defines stress as something that requires physiological adaptation and our bodies are highly reactive, but this is meant to be an adaptive and useful response. The best evidence for negative effects is from stress perceived as negative/unpleasant, that is enduring, and that we have no control over but this is moderated by personal and social factors. Apparently people can put up with all sorts of work problems if they work in a cohesive and supportive team and have some sense of control. I'm not sure that its possible to plan our lives in a way to avoid things we don't like and we get a sense of achievement when we successfully manage problems, the whole process of living involves meeting demands made upon us. You only have to consider what gets you out of bed in the morning, its rarely any sort of personal choice. I like the advice about trying to find something that interests you, then you just live in hope.

Likes BillTre
Thankyou all for the info and speedy responses, I greatly appreciate it.

pinball1970 said:
Wiki gets its information from journals/publications as well as individuals contributors (see below)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1361287/
It’s not perfect by any means but on the whole it’s a decent science resource, if you think it is terminally flawed offer to be an editor/contributor.
The point is that as far as my knowledge within my parameters go perhaps. However contributing is only by their royal favour. Their favourites get in. Read this article please: [science related]

https://slate.com/technology/2019/0...utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=FutureTense

almostvoid said:
The point is that as far as my knowledge within my parameters go perhaps. However contributing is only by their royal favour. Their favourites get in. Read this article please: [science related]

https://slate.com/technology/2019/0...utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=FutureTense
It's up to you check the studies, if you use wiki as your only source then you will undoubtedly come unstuck. If you dismiss it in its entirety then you will miss out on a convenient free resource.
Complex and cutting edge Science of things like virtual particles black holes big bang, singularities and quantum mechanics you may well get directed towards either an oversimplification that will not be useful or something that is plain wrong.
I know something about stress which is why I posted, I used wiki to quickly read up.
If I knew absolutely nothing about a subject I would probably look at 'an introduction to...'
I am not interested in the politics of wiki, that is something perhaps they need to address.

1. What is stress and how does it affect job performance?

Stress is the body's response to a demand or pressure. In the workplace, stress can manifest as physical, emotional, or cognitive symptoms that can negatively impact job performance. This can include decreased productivity, increased absenteeism, and difficulty concentrating.

2. How prevalent is job-related stress?

Job-related stress is a common issue, with approximately 80% of workers reporting feeling stressed on the job. Additionally, studies have shown that job stress has increased over the past few decades, with factors such as workload, job insecurity, and work-life balance contributing to this trend.

3. What are the long-term effects of chronic job stress?

Chronic job stress can have both physical and mental health consequences. It has been linked to an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, musculoskeletal disorders, and mental health issues such as anxiety and depression. It can also lead to burnout, which can result in feelings of exhaustion, cynicism, and reduced effectiveness in the workplace.

4. How can employers help reduce job-related stress?

Employers can take steps to create a less stressful work environment by implementing policies and practices that support work-life balance, providing resources for stress management and mental health support, and promoting open communication and a positive work culture. It is also important for employers to address any sources of stress within the workplace, such as high workloads or poor management.

5. What are some effective ways for individuals to manage job-related stress?

There are several strategies individuals can use to manage job-related stress. These include practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation, setting boundaries and prioritizing tasks, seeking support from colleagues or a therapist, and taking breaks and engaging in self-care activities. It is also important for individuals to communicate their needs and concerns with their employer and to seek help if needed.