Are faeries real? Exploring Irish lore

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: I couldn't help but wonder if the researcher didn't get caught up in the thrill of the discovery. But there is this nagging detail: The locals reported occasional sightings of living hobbits long before we discovered that they really did exist.
Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with that site?
I liked it..

I always give leeway to the realms of the magical world. Now if only the pixies would quit knotting my hair as I sleep :grumpy:

hypatia said:
I always give leeway to the realms of the magical world. Now if only the pixies would quit knotting my hair as I sleep :grumpy:

Put a silver six pence under your pillow, and the pixies will leave your hair alone.

arildno said:
What's wrong with that site?
I liked it..

Well, i love it, some of my best mates are pixies and elves.

Now where would I get a silver six pence from? Would silver spray paint on a copper penny do? hmm more then likely not, I wouldn't want to anger them and wake up with some kind freakish Dolly Parton hairdo.

hypatia said:
Now where would I get a silver six pence from? Would silver spray paint on a copper penny do? hmm more then likely not, I wouldn't want to anger them and wake up with some kind freakish Dolly Parton hairdo.

That is true, no way can you fool the little people, if you try you may end up in all sorts of trouble, a six pence is about all they can carry, so anything silver that size will do.
:biggrin:

My dog is a Welsh Corgi the steed of the fae, who depended on there bravery in the great faery wars. Funny, I often find her sitting in my flower bed. And I think she must be having a chat with old friends.

Hmmm, i not sure but you may be Onagh, in a different guise, and your
kind have come to take you back, keep away from flowers that your dog
is attracted to, and you can stay human for awhile :biggrin:

Well if I suddenly stop posting here, you, and you alone will know why.

Last edited:
hypatia said:
Well if I suddenly stop posting here, you, and you alone will know why.

Aww bye, bye Hypatia. :cry:

Last edited:
...and...:biggrin:...not only is this commonly reported among the locals, but one of the scientists leading this research states flatly that one of her collegues reports a direct sighting of a living hobbit. This is in the interview on the NGC special that first aired about a year after the story broke. I think there is a link to the NGC in the Biology thread...if not, a simple search should lead to a video, or at least the next airing of the story.

AFAIK, there have been no other recent little foot sightings. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
...and...:biggrin:...not only is this commonly reported among the locals, but one of the scientists leading this research states flatly that one of her collegues reports a direct sighting of a living hobbit. This is in the interview on the NGC special that first aired about a year after the story broke. I think there is a link to the NGC in the Biology thread...if not, a simple search should lead to a video, or at least the next airing of the story.

AFAIK, there have been no other recent little foot sightings. :biggrin:

When visiting relatives in Ireland we often saw the little people, the strange
thing is we only saw them after a night at the local, i think guiness must
sharpen the vision :biggrin:

wolram said:
When visiting relatives in Ireland we often saw the little people, the strange
thing is we only saw them after a night at the local, i think guiness must
sharpen the vision :biggrin:

I couldn't help but wonder if the researcher didn't get caught up in the thrill of the discovery. But there is this nagging detail: The locals reported occasional sightings of living hobbits long before we discovered that they really did exist. :confused:

What are faery stories?

Faery stories, also known as fairy tales, are fictional stories that typically involve magical beings such as fairies, elves, and other mythical creatures. They often have a moral lesson or a happy ending.

Where do faery stories originate from?

Faery stories have roots in oral storytelling traditions and have been passed down for generations. Many of the most well-known faery stories originated in Europe, but variations can be found in different cultures around the world.

What are the common themes in faery stories?

Some common themes in faery stories include good versus evil, the power of love, and the triumph of the underdog. They often involve elements of magic, adventure, and a journey or quest.

Are faery stories suitable for children?

Faery stories are often considered to be children's stories, but many of them contain dark and mature themes. It is important for parents to preview the stories and determine if they are appropriate for their child's age and maturity level.

Do faery stories have any scientific basis?

Faery stories are primarily works of fiction and do not have any scientific basis. However, some folklorists and psychologists have studied the cultural significance and psychological impact of these stories on individuals and societies.